Babs may be a goose!
Egg number two.
It was too heavy for my little digital scale so I had to use my baking scales. Two and a half ounces (nearly 71g). It is humongous!
I do hope she won’t make a habit of laying eggs that big. She is not a very big chicken!
Eli mounted guard and at one point went in and sat right up close to her.
This one only took an hour and she marched into the box with no hesitation and looking rather self confident.
She came out clearly quite pleased with herself and rearranged some pine straw in the Chicken Palace before charging off singing her egg song accompanied by Eli.

Attachments

• AE82A4FB-CB4E-47B3-8E48-7652F1541668.jpeg
    AE82A4FB-CB4E-47B3-8E48-7652F1541668.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 1
  • A5A28D7C-D4A9-458C-ABD9-DED0FA461E56.jpeg
    A5A28D7C-D4A9-458C-ABD9-DED0FA461E56.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 673A2871-B4D5-4A49-9C66-649A2F6B0E12.jpeg
    673A2871-B4D5-4A49-9C66-649A2F6B0E12.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 2
Your chickens are so beautiful- love them.
I also really like your pallet table as a place to put the feedbowl where it won’t get totally buried in bedding. I might steal that idea!
Yea I use the table for the youngsters feeding and water. Theres also water inside

Babs may be a goose!
Egg number two.
It was too heavy for my little digital scale so I had to use my baking scales. Two and a half ounces (nearly 71g). It is humongous!
I do hope she won’t make a habit of laying eggs that big. She is not a very big chicken!
This one only took an hour and she marched into the box with no hesitation and looking rather self confident.
She came out clearly quite pleased with herself and rearranged some pine straw in the Chicken Palace before charging off singing her egg song accompanied by Eli.
That is not a Goose egg, it is too big. The one on the right is a Goose egg. 2 weeks into laying, still the same size. Were you not informed that a Goose is a tiny bird, with a beard and muffs and lays tiny eggs?
DSCN9848.JPG

I sent an email I still have lots of time but I wanted to make sure I get the breeds I want! No legbars is a bummer! But I can go for Welbars and Branants 😁 I have blue and green eggs so I can get ark brown and white now.

How’s the leg?
Leg is driving me crazy but pain isn’t quite as bad. Hip is still bothering me some.

Rosie's fever broke this afternoon and she is feeling better. I hate that she has huge dark circles under her eyes but I no longer feel we are on the verge of being hospital bound. It was almost 70 today and about a hour before dark she wanted to just go sit outside for some fresh air. I agreed and we went out and opened up the coop and sat with Chiquita and the chicks. They are still wary of me but were eventually all over Rosie. While feeding them out of her hand she spotted the older group of youngsters and informed me it was time to name them. Yeah, too late, they are named. She really loved the name Athena. She was like you know that is a greek goddess. Yup, but she is named after Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven" since her momma is Raven. That made it even better for her as she fell in love with his poems when they covered him in 8th grade. She then asked me if the leghorns were named. Nope just 1, little Peep. That changed almost instantly. 3 were immediately named after her favorite poem of Edgar Allan Poe's that she still has memorized. We have a Anna, Bell, and a Lee. After she came up with those 3 she proceeded to recite the poem to me. She then decided since we have a Athena, we needed a Persephone. She wants to name the last one Flower after Bambi, but I have another idea. I want to call one Turkey. I have a Loosey Goosey, and now a Ducky, I need a Turkey Lurkey.
So glad she is feeling better and that she got some chick time. Love the names.

Babs may be a goose!
Egg number two.
It is probably a double yolk. Very common when they first start laying. I think almost all my girls laid at least one big double yolk egg their first month.

Cocorico !
I disagree, Babs is no goose. I hope she learns to regulate her egg's size ! It looks good though.

@RebeccaBoyd glad Rosie is feeling better, she's been though a lot of health trouble. You're a real mamma hen to her 😁. I love the chick's names after Poe's poems.

@ValarieF I love your roosters. They steal the show ! Hope you are feeling a bit better.

I keep complaining about very small health problems because I'm so lucky not to have bigger ones. I've been having a torticolis for two days! I think you call it a stiff neck but torticolis is a much funnier word. Anyway it's been quite cold here and even though the weather is beautiful I've been spending more time inside than usual which is making me cranky. I do have pictures of Piou-piou drinking through the ice for thirsty Thursday! Have a nice day / evening everyone. My chickens are already asleep here.
IMG_20230209_091351~2.jpg
IMG_20230209_091346~2.jpg
IMG_20230209_091348.jpg

Cocorico !
I disagree, Babs is no goose. I hope she learns to regulate her egg's size ! It looks good though.

@RebeccaBoyd glad Rosie is feeling better, she's been though a lot of health trouble. You're a real mamma hen to her 😁. I love the chick's names after Poe's poems.

@ValarieF I love your roosters. They steal the show ! Hope you are feeling a bit better.

I keep complaining about very small health problems because I'm so lucky not to have bigger ones. I've been having a torticolis for two days! I think you call it a stiff neck but torticolis is a much funnier word. Anyway it's been quite cold here and even though the weather is beautiful I've been spending more time inside than usual which is making me cranky. I do have pictures of Piou-piou drinking through the ice for thirsty Thursday! Have a nice day / evening everyone. My chickens are already asleep here.
View attachment 3400214View attachment 3400215View attachment 3400216
I love roosters especially when they crow. Your chickens are fabulous!

Back
Top Bottom