I have to ask, on the subject of spurs, has anyone ever removed them? I saw several of these videos and is seems a bit brutal, if simple. Thoughts?
I didn't get any fluffy butt pics today. Too cold! (Not cold at all compared to where some of you are.) But here's my green chicken for St Patrick's Day!View attachment 3434982
The way they do it there does work. It hurts me more than my rooster when I have to trim his spurs. Just don’t twist the pliers too close to his leg. A dremmel tool will work as well.

The way they do it there does work. It hurts me more than my rooster when I have to trim his spurs. Just don’t twist the pliers too close to his leg. A dremmel tool will work as well.
You could also ask any other chicken owner (in person) who has done it before. They usually can comfort you with some knowledge of the process.

I have to ask, on the subject of spurs, has anyone ever removed them? I saw several of these videos and is seems a bit brutal, if simple. Thoughts?
I didn't get any fluffy butt pics today. Too cold! (Not cold at all compared to where some of you are.) But here's my green chicken for St Patrick's Day!View attachment 3434982
I really don't see any reason to remove them other than they are curving around and growing into their leg...and if you are paying attention, you could probably keep them filed so they don't cause harm unless it is an extreme case.

She has a very pretty green sheen. (See, @RoyalChick , someone can take pics of their green-sheen chickie! :lau

Disappointed butts (I didn't rush out to give them treats when they came begging.)
20230312_170015_HDR~2.jpg

Rosie on inspection duty, perspective makes that doorway look tiny !
20230315_102748~2.jpg

Little Eli has problems
Eli has been having issues this week and I keep delaying sharing here as I have spent most days unsure if she would pull through.
It has now been almost a week and it is unclear how this will resolve and I am sharing now so you know what she is dealing with and can send good thoughts her way.

About a week ago Eli became egg bound. I spent a day and a half giving calcium, inserting lubricant, and frantically calling vets. Finally she laid an egg and was much better for a whole day.
Then it happened again. This time she spent two days straining and crying out. I have put the video in a spoiler as it is a bit distressing.

Then on Tuesday, after a morning of straining, she laid two eggs. TWO eggs!
One of them was regular sized, the other weighed 3 ounces.
The 3 ounce one was a monster of an egg and had two yolks. These photos give a sense of the comparison of the two eggs - the smaller one is a regular size egg.

View attachment 3433778View attachment 3433779View attachment 3433780

Poor little girl. No wonder she was in distress!
As well as the straining I also noticed that her legs got weak. She couldn't jump up and spent 2 nights roosting down on the roost. Babs agreed to stay with her and Bernie was very well behaved.

I really hoped that the issue was resolved once that monster egg was out, but sadly she is egg bound again now. She had a good day today running around outside, but yesterday she was in the nest box straining for 2 hours, and at 4:30 this morning she flew down from the rafters in the dark and spent another 2 hours straining in the nest box.

Having talked to multiple vets there is not really anything I can do for her except hope for the best.

Poor little Eli.
Good thoughts are coming your way, so sorry she is having this trouble! Peanut did this same straining and crying out, and it is so hard to see them in distress this way. I don’t think there’s much more one can do, except a warm epsom soak maybe? Hoping she gets through this intact. :fl❤️:fl

Little Eli has problems
Eli has been having issues this week and I keep delaying sharing here as I have spent most days unsure if she would pull through.
It has now been almost a week and it is unclear how this will resolve and I am sharing now so you know what she is dealing with and can send good thoughts her way.

About a week ago Eli became egg bound. I spent a day and a half giving calcium, inserting lubricant, and frantically calling vets. Finally she laid an egg and was much better for a whole day.
Then it happened again. This time she spent two days straining and crying out. I have put the video in a spoiler as it is a bit distressing.

Then on Tuesday, after a morning of straining, she laid two eggs. TWO eggs!
One of them was regular sized, the other weighed 3 ounces.
The 3 ounce one was a monster of an egg and had two yolks. These photos give a sense of the comparison of the two eggs - the smaller one is a regular size egg.

View attachment 3433778View attachment 3433779View attachment 3433780

Poor little girl. No wonder she was in distress!
As well as the straining I also noticed that her legs got weak. She couldn't jump up and spent 2 nights roosting down on the roost. Babs agreed to stay with her and Bernie was very well behaved.

I really hoped that the issue was resolved once that monster egg was out, but sadly she is egg bound again now. She had a good day today running around outside, but yesterday she was in the nest box straining for 2 hours, and at 4:30 this morning she flew down from the rafters in the dark and spent another 2 hours straining in the nest box.

Having talked to multiple vets there is not really anything I can do for her except hope for the best.

Poor little Eli.
Another thought: hormone implant?

That might explain the fight. The only time that I have experienced smack down fights with my lovely ladies has been when someone was broody.
Yes I agree, that is the only time they become bat crap crazy! I couldn’t believe she picked a fight with Dorothy twice her size and weight!

I can’t even look at that video 😳😳

Happy St Patty’s, we are getting a bit Sheila’s Brush here at the moment (snowy weather).
Disappointed butts (I didn't rush out to give them treats when they came begging.)
View attachment 3435052
Rosie on inspection duty, perspective makes that doorway look tiny !
View attachment 3435053
she looking for a place to go broody??

Hi Jaffar my handsome wee Ladd how are you?

Another thought: hormone implant?
Is this similar to a human oestrogen/ progesterone implant that lasts 3 months fairly simple to slip under the skin…?

Back
Top Bottom