The wire side is so the adults can see them and they the adults. Learning starts before hatch. They're getting raised in the coop.
This is so wonderful! Both that you have babies, and the set-up. Did you cut down a plastic tote? What are you using for the 'mamma hen' heating pad?

I can't wait to see pic of them all. I love the 'just peeking out' from under mom look they have the first week-ish when they are SO dependent on mom's warmth! (not that they aren't later, but they can go longer between 'warm-up' rest stops.)

Behind the spoiler so as not to mess with previous post
Put them back after the modeling pics
20230531_152210.jpg

20230531_152145.jpg
Half-brahma baby, feathered feet

20230531_152120.jpg
Little yellow, was told hatched from my eggs, no idea yet on parentage.

20230531_152058.jpg
Jessica's egg. Not sure yet on daddy, but looks like will be mostly golden wyandotte colors

20230531_152034.jpg
Clean legs, otherwise looks like Brahma X, or hamburg. Will see as growth occurs.

20230531_151956.jpg
Fluffy yellow, from MIL'S eggs, has muffs, so Pippa and Maizie's half sib.

20230531_152015.jpg
Again from my eggs. Straight comb, otherwise not a clue...yet.

This is so wonderful! Both that you have babies, and the set-up. Did you cut down a plastic tote? What are you using for the 'mamma hen' heating pad?

I can't wait to see pic of them all. I love the 'just peeking out' from under mom look they have the first week-ish when they are SO dependent on mom's warmth! (not that they aren't later, but they can go longer between 'warm-up' rest stops.)
Heated a nail over a candle and enjoyed the fresh air while punching holes in the plastic tote (held the nail with visegrips). "Mama hen" is a curve of the hardware cloth with a $15 sunbeam heating pad from Walmart. One of the cheapest there, and only one WITHOUT an auto shut off. Couple of old towels folded on top and whole thing slid inside an old pillowcase. Pinned with large safety pins, making sure NOT into heating pad. I know the auto shutdown isn't there as I turned it on last night and haven't messed with it since. I sort of shoved the babies under when we got home and they settled in all nice and quiet.

Even set up a door with extra wire closing it for now, but can prop it open when they're going exploring in a week or 2.

Put them back after the modeling picsView attachment 3524646

View attachment 3524647Half-brahma baby, feathered feet

View attachment 3524648Little yellow, was told hatched from my eggs, no idea yet on parentage.

View attachment 3524649Jessica's egg. Not sure yet on daddy, but looks like will be mostly golden wyandotte colors

View attachment 3524650Clean legs, otherwise looks like Brahma X, or hamburg. Will see as growth occurs.

View attachment 3524652Fluffy yellow, from MIL'S eggs, has muffs, so Pippa and Maizie's half sib.

View attachment 3524651Again from my eggs. Straight comb, otherwise not a clue...yet.
“Hey kids, we have this gang, and you can join us soon as you have more feathers.” IMG_2270.jpeg

Here is Young Miss Tassels. @RebeccaBoyd - see, she really does have feathered feet. To be honest they alarm me now and then because I think her leg is all swollen and then I realize it is just feathers. It looks like she is getting some fluffy muffs coming in. Or maybe that is just chick fluff making its way out.
She is noticably bigger than the other four. I suspect she will grow up to be a big gal.
8F2C1BE4-1A40-4CE0-8948-277D6D33F32F.jpeg
F89DE68E-F1D7-4783-9CE1-009B34A2245A.jpeg

Of course Piglet noticed there was a photo shoot in progress and demanded in on the action.
She is such a ham!

20A8F066-8249-4B5F-9611-747B2E3547CB.jpeg

A3288697-3C16-424C-8314-3E76E27594AA.jpeg

Here is Young Miss Tassels. @RebeccaBoyd - see, she really does have feathered feet. To be honest they alarm me now and then because I think her leg is all swollen and then I realize it is just feathers. It looks like she is getting some fluffy muffs coming in. Or maybe that is just chick fluff making its way out.
She is noticably bigger than the other four. I suspect she will grow up to be a big gal.
View attachment 3524700View attachment 3524701

Of course Piglet noticed there was a photo shoot in progress and demanded in on the action.
She is such a ham!

View attachment 3524702
View attachment 3524703
HOW DID YOU GET THOSE PHOTOS?
They look very professional. Good job on them.
Looks like Phyllis has some competition.

Put them back after the modeling picsView attachment 3524646

View attachment 3524647Half-brahma baby, feathered feet

View attachment 3524648Little yellow, was told hatched from my eggs, no idea yet on parentage.

View attachment 3524649Jessica's egg. Not sure yet on daddy, but looks like will be mostly golden wyandotte colors

View attachment 3524650Clean legs, otherwise looks like Brahma X, or hamburg. Will see as growth occurs.

View attachment 3524652Fluffy yellow, from MIL'S eggs, has muffs, so Pippa and Maizie's half sib.

View attachment 3524651Again from my eggs. Straight comb, otherwise not a clue...yet.
Oh, I think you have a boy there - quite possibly 2!! That said, not sure of the environment (i.e. something happened - noise, movement of another chicken, etc.) 🥰 🥰 🥰

They are all so lovely! can't wait to see them grow and change into their adult selves.

Back
Top Bottom