Thirsty Thursday
Piglet and Sylvie drinking big Princess water - they look so tiny!
Guess I can remove the waterer from their brooder box.

View attachment 3525250
If they are still going to their brooder box at night, I would leave it for now. When they start 'roosting with the big girls', maybe then take it away. wdyt?

Last edited:
Hello, FBA ! Warning for a long update 🙂. I didn't share many chick pics up to now. I have had several health issues happening within my flock, just the week before the chicks hatched. I was worried not all the chicks would make it. They have been healthy up to now, their 11th days, I'm still worried but enjoying how incredible it is to see them being taught the chicken world by their broody mama, Léa.
They are not named yet except the yellow chick, who at 11 days is a most likely potential roo, named Max (after the grand son of the neighbour who gave us four of the eggs).
View attachment 3525221View attachment 3525223View attachment 3525224View attachment 3525226
View attachment 3525253

And that same week, four days before the chicks hatched, we got four new point of lay pullets. They have been quarantined until this tuesday and have now integrated the coop and chicken yard. We got them hoping that having more adult hens will allow our roosters Théo and Gaston to coexist without trying to kill each other. Introducing Kara and Lily, and Alba and Nieva.
View attachment 3525236View attachment 3525237
View attachment 3525232View attachment 3525233
View attachment 3525257
Alba and Nieva are leghorns. One of them has started laying, not certain which, tiny eggs. They didn't arrive here in very good condition but I think they are doing a bit better now. They are both quite sure of themselves and daring, so they had no trouble integrating with the other chickens. Good flyers and jumpers, although it shows they have not been used to having the space to do so 🙁. Gaston is in love with them, and they also like him a lot. Nieva even began grooming him and sleeping next to him yesterday. They are still rather weary of humans that try to come near, and we didn't spend a lot of time with them during quarantine. But we have a very effective bribe at this time of year : few chickens can resistI cherries !

PS : my partner chose the name Lily. So if it wasn't meant as a tribute to @BY Bob 's Lily, it will still make me think of her. He chose it for this song (I'm not including the video for nudity / potentially offensive content).
I am so glad Gaston will have his own Girls.🥰 Since they chose him, there won't be any issues about him trying to win over Theo's girls, and since he has quite a few already, hopefully Theo won't try to 'steal' Gaston's

The white leghorns look lovely, and have that characteristic stance and tail - but they look a bit more 'full bodied' than our American versions (@BY Bob , do you agree, or is my perspective off?🤔) And your BCM are lovely, though I suspect @RebeccaBoyd would say they would look even lovelier (especially give you are IN France) if they were FBMC - with the feathered legs! :lau

I do hope all continue to thrive with your care. They do look quite content in their new surroundings - and I suspect it won't be long before the leghorns have fine tuned their take-off, landing, and flight path calculations! :D

Morning Visitor

Everyone had a blast running around this morning, and we even had an eggciting visitor!

Even the 3 week old kiddies got in on the action.

I finally dragged everyone away from the wee visitor and left her to sunbathe in peace
I'm surprised no one attacked it and tried to eat it! But, yes, as RC said, it was quite fun to see their curiosity!

And isn't that sweet, even though they are in the tween stage, someone still loves their human mum! 🥰 🥰 🥰

I am so glad Gaston will have his own Girls.🥰 Since they chose him, there won't be any issues about him trying to win over Theo's girls, and since he has quite a few already, hopefully Theo won't try to 'steal' Gaston's

The white leghorns look lovely, and have that characteristic stance and tail - but they look a bit more 'full bodied' than our American versions (@BY Bob , do you agree, or is my perspective off?🤔) And your BCM are lovely, though I suspect @RebeccaBoyd would say they would look even lovelier (especially give you are IN France) if they were FBMC - with the feathered legs! :lau

I do hope all continue to thrive with your care. They do look quite content in their new surroundings - and I suspect it won't be long before the leghorns have fine tuned their take-off, landing, and flight path calculations! :D
Vector, flap speed (Lift) and altitude adjustments? :cool:

A few long over-due pictures. It isn't midnight here yet, so I can post a Thirsty Thursday pic:
IMG_3335[1].JPG
IMG_3334[1].JPG
IMG_3336[1].JPG
IMG_3337[1].JPG

He was eyeing me suspiciously the whole time he was drinking!

Back
Top Bottom