This is a good question! One I have been contemplating myself. I have 9 fully grown hens with room for twice that number BUT I also already get way way more eggs then my family can use. The original intent behind getting them was to simply have farm fresh eggs.

Then somewhere in the excitement and the realization of just how cool chickens really are the idea of more lodged in my brain.

I am looking for a nice trio out of the eggs I hatched out to keep. I will hatch out a few batches of eggs each year to sell to help with the cost of upkeep and keep any broody hens happy. But I want to keep my numbers well under 20.

It’s hard to not want more though! They really are amazing creatures.
If you can afford to feed more hens, then get some more hens. The food stores are soon going to raise prices drastically. And the American economy is going to take a hit soon.

If you can afford to feed more hens, then get some more hens. The food stores are soon going to raise prices drastically. And the American economy is going to take a hit soon.
Well, if I can get a rooster that doesn’t wanna beat me up like you have then I should be able to make more right here! As soon as Brownie lets em go, I am gonna have to go out and sweet talk the chicks that look to be Roos!! 😂

The chooks will lay eggs, but not set them for very long periods. Jaffar has “roostered “ a few of the hens, but I’m just collecting the eggs, they don’t seem interested in being broody. The eggs I have cracked didn’t show signs of fertility either. I’m wondering if I want more chooks or not :idunno

The chooks will lay eggs, but not set them for very long periods. Jaffar has “roostered “ a few of the hens, but I’m just collecting the eggs, they don’t seem interested in being broody. The eggs I have cracked didn’t show signs of fertility either. I’m wondering if I want more chooks or not :idunno
Additional information: the next door neighbor asked if his baby chicks were bothering me or not. I said no, it’s ok if they come to visit. They always go back home at night when it’s time. He didn’t answer me when I asked him about the mama in the cage. :confused:

Well, if I can get a rooster that doesn’t wanna beat me up like you have then I should be able to make more right here! As soon as Brownie lets em go, I am gonna have to go out and sweet talk the chicks that look to be Roos!! 😂
Look on Kijiji for an older Roo that someone is wanting to rehome. Young Roos are nothing but trouble for at least a yr or two. I lucked out with Mr P - he was the right age and had already been clobbered by another Roo, so he knew to behave.

Well you have those chicks just begging for a home.

Start doling out treats to them and they will come running soon enough. Risk though if there are Roos. You do not want Roos with poor old Jaffar 😟

Back
Top Bottom