I am amazed at how fast my brooder-hand raised chicks integrated. And really frustrated with how my co-broodies and babies are still not as integrated as I want. Though now I am letting them go to bed on their own.

I wonder if I gave Sophia chicks and her being a high status hen if she would be more different with integration.
The pherome (scent thing) I shared a link to sounds more valid. The co-broodies babies (aside from Penne) are not genetically connected to any of the adults.

Hazel has a reasonable-size spur on her right leg
PXL_20230606_123841613.MP.jpg

A button on her left
PXL_20230606_123849713.jpg

And it is not at all clear
what's going on with the photoshoot, don't I want her beautiful mug?
PXL_20230606_123816514.jpg

Yes that is a broken shovel, it's a reminder for us to try to buy another, when they're in stock!

I am amazed at how fast my brooder-hand raised chicks integrated. And really frustrated with how my co-broodies and babies are still not as integrated as I want. Though now I am letting them go to bed on their own.

I wonder if I gave Sophia chicks and her being a high status hen if she would be more different with integration.
It could possibly be easier. Brownie is my head girl. I didn’t have any issues with integration per say. Barring that one issue with Peanut the first day she tried to take the chicks out, its been problem free.

Most of the issues I had were my own anxiety and worry my coop was not chick proofed enough.

That said Brownie is a relatively benevolent leader and although she will not hesitate to whoop someone to get them in line she has never caused any injuries. So it depend a-lot on your flocks dynamics and individual personalities.

The pherome (scent thing) I shared a link to sounds more valid. The co-broodies babies (aside from Penne) are not genetically connected to any of the adults.
But I feel that it’s more the Brodie’s not letting them roam around! As soon as they go and try to hang out with the school chicks the mamas run over, beat the crap out of the poor school chick and herd their baby back to ‘safety’!!!

So now the babies are afraid to roam far, and the school chicks now run away from the broody group. Oh except for the non silkie chick Penne - AND I have a theory on this:

Gender - I think it’s because Penne is a Roo and (da ta de daaaa!!!!!) all the silkies are - get this - PULLETS - yes pullets. I think that the Roo is just naturally more into roaming and the mamas know that, and they are protecting the little girls 😊

Just my theory.

ALL GIRLS! Go figure. Well I guess it’s for the best of I am keeping Rico the little flocker 😊

It could possibly be easier. Brownie is my head girl. I didn’t have any issues with integration per say. Barring that one issue with Peanut the first day she tried to take the chicks out, its been problem free.

Most of the issues I had were my own anxiety and worry my coop was not chick proofed enough.

That said Brownie is a relatively benevolent leader and although she will not hesitate to whoop someone to get them in line she has never caused any injuries. So it depend a-lot on your flocks dynamics and individual personalities.
Agreed 😊

Assorted 2s

View attachment 3530853Blanche and PITA

View attachment 35308542 pairs: little yellow and dark cheeky by the hatch, big buff and Zulu on the ground.

View attachment 3530855Twirp and featherfoot

View attachment 3530856Clean leg and Zulu

View attachment 3530857Same pair (note tail difference, Zulu was one of the last to hatch)

View attachment 3530858They like running in 3s: featherfoot, Zulu and clean leg

View attachment 3530859Zulu and big buff

View attachment 3530860Feather foot and Zulu with clean leg checking out the oyster shell dish

View attachment 3530861Jessica and Maizie (the unobtrusive baby watch from just outside the coop: it's amazing how aware they are of surroundings while seemingly being oblivious to everything but the bug hunt)

View attachment 3530862Up at the top of the olives, there's some mutual curiosity there....

View attachment 3530852Maizie and Hector

View attachment 3530851I'm Outa Here!!!!
Wow those babies are just growing in leaps and bounds! I found that as soon as they were out roaming around they really packed on the weight and growth! Oh I so love their wee little tail feathers coming in ❤️

Hazel has a reasonable-size spur on her right leg
View attachment 3530869

A button on her left
View attachment 3530870

And it is not at all clear
what's going on with the photoshoot, don't I want her beautiful mug?
View attachment 3530871
Yes that is a broken shovel, it's a reminder for us to try to buy another, when they're in stock!
Keep the handle (it looks wooden ?yes?) They make really good impromptu roosts! It may not be super long, but I've used them in smaller chicken tractors (for my broodies) and at the corner of pens just for an extra place to hop up on.

Back
Top Bottom