Oh my gosh.. the beginning of the summer we had HORRIBLE swarms.. worse than usual! The only thing I could come up with that helps a bit is a fan... it could help a lot if I would put it on high but I don’t like to keep it blasting like that for long periods...
Good idea - I have one we use outside and I could try that. I was also looking at those 'bug zappers' that fry the little devils when they come in contact. I imagine a bunch of fried bugs on the floor of the Palace could be breakfast for the Princesses. It is just I don't really like keeping something electric on in the Palace (or really anywhere outdoors) if I am not there to suprevise.

I was so very frightened that we would pass in my arms. I would not let him close his eyes. I kept rubbing him to keep him awake.
Oh poor Bob, poor Ned. I am really sorry you both had to go through that. He really is the picture of health now though so good job to both of you!

It was too Close

As I sat there holding him in the hot sun, wrapped in a warm towel on one side and against my chest on the other side I was sure he was going to choose his eyes and not open them again. He was shaking so violently. No one else was here to help me. Maybe if Mrs BY Bob had been home she could have gotten the blow drier or made hot water to feed him or dunk him in, or warmed towels in the drier for me to use, all to help warm him. I had nothing but me and the sun to save him.

I kept rubbing him and talking to him as his eyes closed. Told him to stay with me.

After a while his sister came over to check on him. She peeped for him, he weakly tried to answer her. She was confused but finally saw him, then left and rejoined the flock.

View attachment 2285213

Here he is in my lap.
View attachment 2285215View attachment 2285216

After a while the shivering eased a little and he stoop up. Relief flooded through me. I knew he would make it now.

He eventually crawled up onto my shoulder and sat down.
View attachment 2285222View attachment 2285223View attachment 2285224

He nestled on my shoulder for a long while. That's when Mrs BY Bob got home. Always fashionably late that one.

Eventually Ned would move up to the back of the chair and preen in the sun.
View attachment 2285230

Poor little man! Glad he’s ok. :love

Up Early

Ned was up with the sun this morning. Here he and Lucky are grabbing a snack.

Broody Cam_20200811_55548.jpg

Wildlife often gets the blame. It's rarely the case. I have lots of wildlife here and while I get injuries and predation, mostly the chickens stay healthy.
Cocciiosis is almost always a ground management problem.
Scaly leg mite is just one of those things one learns to live with and try to keep on top of.
Pasty butt is another thing that most who have chicks have to deal with at some point. If you catch it quickly, it's not a long term problem.
There is constantly promoted falsehood that chickens are easy to keep. They may be if you stuff a few in a coop and run, collect their eggs and kill them at the slightest sign of sickness or reduction in egg laying. For the rest of us; I'll speak for myself here, I've found keeping chickens harder work, more stressful and more upsetting than any of the other creatures we have and have had here. The list is long.
Tonight I have one hen missing, probably killed while sitting on egg on an outside nest. I have one rooster that needs an injury cleaned and bandaged every day. I have three hens and one rooster with ongoing SLM issues. I have one hen with physiological issues who needs keeping an eye on and another having a summer moult which means she is reluctant to stay close to her tribe in case one of the roosters jump on her. I have one hen who thinks she should move in with me and needs 'secorting' to her tribes coop at night and another senior hen who thinks that given her age (10y) she is entitled to be carried from the coop to the nearest feed station in the morning.
Did I mention the fights?
On top of all this there is all the day to day stuff, feeding, watering, coop cleaning etc.
Are they worth all the trouble? OH YES!:wee
This post is exactly what every new prospective chickener should read before going into it!!!! You have perfectly summed up the whole experience of much more work than people ever think it is, but because we enjoy it we push on. With full time jobs and living far from everything, finding time is never easy, but when you can go into the run with a cigar and totally veg out and watch chickens do chicken things, it makes the work worth it. Some days though are much easier than others.

This post is exactly what every new prospective chickener should read before going into it!!!! You have perfectly summed up the whole experience of much more work than people ever think it is, but because we enjoy it we push on. With full time jobs and living far from everything, finding time is never easy, but when you can go into the run with a cigar and totally veg out and watch chickens do chicken things, it makes the work worth it. Some days though are much easier than others.
Chicken TV has gotten me through COVID. If it wasn't for them I would have gone stir crazy.

After yesterday I can agree that some days are easier than others.

To reassure you, the hens at my housd have an absurdly large ranging yard and an absurdly large Fort Knox henhouse for roosting. They have clean water every day, around the clock access to a balanced diet, treats in very small amounts, and plenty to forage.

Yet still this year I started with five hens, lost one to a persistent uterine infection, another had an eye infection that required a surgical procedure, a third has a chronic pancreas problem. All this is with the luxury of guidance from a superb avian vet.

With all the attentive care he provides, even ByBob had a hen down with heatstroke the other day, had a chick die a few weeks back, and lost one hen to a predator a while back.

If your flock is around 50% healthy, that seems to be about right. Tragedy is only a day away and the best way to manage is to expect it.

I think you've been doing a great job for a beginner. Don't worry too much about the wildbirds. The hens will be happier foraging than kept in.
You kinda hit the nail on the head perfectly with tragedy only being a day away. I really appreciate this post, makes me feel halfway decent that some do indeed get these strings of trial and hardship. I was actually dreading opening and cleaning my coops today, afraid of finding yet another one down, but stoked the remaining 32 birds are good to go for another day. Its just hard that the roo I lost yesterday and the hen that was euthanized were going to be part of my future planned breeding endeavors. And the hen I lost last week was one of my chattiest girls, you really feel the hole they leave in their flocks when they are gone.

I do believe that you are having a run of bad luck that maybe we can lesson with some changes. Post some coop and run pictures along with dimensions when you can. Maybe that will spark some ideas.

So these are my two larger coops. The blue JG roo passed away in the yellow one. For the tan one, not only has the only major medical case been my one JG hen with wryneck, but it also survived a bear attack from April. The big wire run is mobile, I simply move it to the coop run door, fasten wire connectors to the coop sides and create a great day run.
20200811_061226.jpg
20200811_061236.jpg
20200811_061306.jpg

This one is the TSC coop, which Jimmy pretends to be tough in, but he is more fluff than fight with us lol. This one has had most of the issues, and we may wind up getting a 4th better coop and just tossing this one or using it for growout only. I had planned on moving it closer to my other 2 coops, but the lice and med issues have put those plans on hold. The tough challenge on my land is there really are no flat spots, you either have big hills or small undulating ones.

Back
Top Bottom