@BY Bob, you mentioned earlier that Sydney has started pecking at the chicks, right? How old were the chicks when that started? I'm just curious because I have chicks that are almost 8 weeks old and they still go everywhere with their mom. They even still sleep with her in the nest box!
Ruffles mothered her chicks for just short of eleven weeks! It seems some hens can't get shot of them fast enough while others go that extra month, or so.
I would guess the average here is around five to six weeks.
Some stay friendly with their offspring while others while not overly aggressive make it quite clear that the chicks must fend for themselves.

Thank you - I know that, I think I just need reassuring! I will go and inspect the young ladies for blood - but I am 99% sure they are fine - they are now zipping around the Palace being annoying to everyone as usual!
I agree with Bob and that looks pretty mild compared to some of the scraps I see here. The youngsters need to learn to avoid the adults until after they've had their coffee and breakfast.;)

Do chickens ever lay eggs while asleep? Lately we've been finding eggs directly beneath where Maryanne sleeps. I guess that would be ok except we all know what else tends to accumulate right beneath where chickens sleep. :barnie
Not while they are asleep, but they do lay eggs while roosting. I'm not sure what it is that disturbs their normal egg laying cycle. One cause here has been a hen unable to lay in her favorite egg box; there are plenty of alternatives.:rolleyes:

Not while they are asleep, but they do lay eggs while roosting. I'm not sure what it is that disturbs their normal egg laying cycle. One cause here has been a hen unable to lay in her favorite egg box; there are plenty of alternatives.:rolleyes:
This whole favorite nest box thing is just crazy sometimes. I get more squawking over that than anything else. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom