Here they are.
I’ll go pecking-order wise.
Melody, the fat sassy mean BO.View attachment 2344188View attachment 2344189
Pepper, one of the Dominique twins:View attachment 2344190
Salt, the other twin:View attachment 2344192
June Bug. An EE.View attachment 2344204View attachment 2344218
Nutmeg, a SS. View attachment 2344220
And Vanilla, the sweetie. No eggs yet. EE.View attachment 2344221
Adorable flock! Wow, I didn’t realize Dominiques look so much like Plymouth Barred Rocks!

Maggie
I am very dispirited about Maggie's prospects. I know I shouldn't get out ahead of myself but everything I have read basically says that what she has is a death sentence.
If she were obviously in pain or having a miserable life I would know what to do, but she is behaving just like normal - chasing the young ladies, rushing around the Palace, dust bathing and chatting away to me.
She sees the vet tomorrow and I am guessing the vet is going to offer to put her to sleep. I am not experienced enough with chickens to have good instincts about how she is feeling.
I have had many cats for many decades and feel I understand when they are miserable.
Is Maggie miserable? Or maybe she is fine now but will suddenly be in terrible pain, and then will I regret if I didn't act now? I feel like preventing suffering is my number one obligation to her.
Sorry - I know I should wait until I see the vet and listen to the options and take a calm decision but I am mentally preparing myself for the worst.
Thank you for hearing me out.
Ok, stop torturing yourself and wait to see what the vet says. So what is her status? Any more lash eggs? Any real eggs? If it is the early stages of salpingitis, it is not necessarily a death sentence. As I already said, if she were mine and I knew for sure the lash eggs were hers, I would have hit her HARD with antibiotics. That’s not an approach for everyone. It will be interesting to see if she is prescribed enrofloxacin. It is no longer allowed in poultry here, but my avian vet will prescribe it if I sign a waiver saying I won’t eat her eggs or the hen herself. Anyway, just wait and see what the vet says. Heads up, the vet may possibly suggest a hormone implant to give her oviduct a break. I have a fair bit of experience with that. It’s expensive, yet very effective. If she were mine and acting completely normal, I would definitely NOT put her down. However, there are others (whom I respect) who would, to avoid suffering later. I don’t envy you and the position you may be in. We are here to support you whatever the outcome and what you decide. Hugs!

Waiting is always an option. You will know when she's reached her give up point. If she's looking & acting ok I would personally go with that ~ & MJs option if you can afford it.
Yes, wait and see is an option. However, my understanding is that salpingitis requires aggressive treatment early on for recovery. I hope I’m wrong.

I think she knew, that the A/C cools her hiding spot as well. Ps. Brown Leghorns don't kiss or snuggle.:(
I missed this the first time. I have to disagree. Margo was my BEST snuggler!
CF2BE867-A503-4585-9671-E158EDED9961.jpeg

DCB1C483-ABEB-4B72-B26E-375EAE9F39B8.jpeg

09C9941F-47B7-40F2-98E9-BC33924354E7.jpeg

Hi, peeps. Just checking in. Roxy and Lucky seem mostly good. Millie’s crop is huge, doughy and slow. Rats are brutal.
So I could not resist and brought the babies back inside tonight. With no mama to guide them, they are a bit stressed and scared outside at night (so I’ve convinced myself). I really didn’t want to raise chicks this year. It’s a butt ton of work. But I have to admit... I’ve grown so attached and LOVE these girls! And they LOVE to snuggle. Did I tell you about Sunny this morning? She was SO happy to see me, she burrowed herself into my neck and hair and tried to go to sleep right there. All three are wonderfully docile and affectionate.
30D85516-2F3A-4250-A67E-359434710326.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom