Would it be Disloyal......

First, I have to say that I know I am coming to the wrong group with this but I am hoping that you all could be honest with me.

Has anyone ever heard of a White Legbar?
View attachment 2343705

Just look at it. Isn't it gorgeous. I never knew they even existed. It looks so much like my beloved white leghorn, except it has a toupee. I love toupees!

Of course how do I learn about these gorgeous chickens? Someone approached me knowing I have been talking about legbars with an opportunity to maybe be able to provide me with one or two chicks from a very late in the season hatch.

There is danger here.
  • With chicks, always the chance of a rooster. Not that he would be hard to rehome or sell, just look at these beautiful birds. But it would have to be dealt with.
  • The weather. They would have to stay inside our house for quite a while. Then I could be integrating new hens in the winter with snow on the ground and limited space. No free range time to help the integration if there is snow
  • Technically, do I have space? The coop and run are technically big enough for 10 birds but not if I need to lock them in the coop for any extended period of time like I did when Maleficent was killed and I had to upgrade security everywhere or when it drops way below freezing.
  • Is it fair to Lucky? I sent Lucky with Ned because I could not bear to split them up. Would I have kept them both if they were both hens? I'm afraid I might have. Clearly I am weak when it comes to chickens. Is it Disloyal to bring in others now.
  • I know these beautiful hens exist now. I'm sure I could get some another time, right? Or is this a one time opportunity?
  • If there is only 1 available I would have to get at least one other chick to go with it. How would I do that! That also means that I am adding at least 2 hens to my flock bring it back to 8.
  • Blue Eggs!
I need everyone to look at this seriously and help me to decide. I really want to hear your thoughts. Especially if you see a positive or negative that I have missed.

I admit I am weak and just the pictures of these chickens has me longing for my dearly missed leghorn friends (especially you know who). Plus with
Blue Eggs a little price of Mal as well, sort of, in a way, ironically.

View attachment 2343738

I think getting a white legbar would be a great idea. But, I don't know if getting them this year would be good. Introducing new flock members while they are all locked in their coop because of cold weather is practically asking for problems.
This variety of legbar is not rare. You would definitely be able to find some eggs or chicks next spring. You could let Sidney raise them. (I know you're worried about getting a rooster, but I'm sure you could find a great home for such a nice chicken.)
Finally. getting a legbar or two would not be disloyal to Lucky. You gave her away to a great home so that she could stay with Ned. You did what was best for her.

I think getting a white legbar would be a great idea. But, I don't know if getting them this year would be good. Introducing new flock members while they are all locked in their coop because of cold weather is practically asking for problems.
This variety of legbar is not rare. You would definitely be able to find some eggs or chicks next spring. You could let Sidney raise them. (I know you're worried about getting a rooster, but I'm sure you could find a great home for such a nice chicken.)
Finally. getting a legbar or two would not be disloyal to Lucky. You gave her away to a great home so that she could stay with Ned. You did what was best for her.
Thank you. I think I'm backing off the ledge. The time is not right and the coop is full.

I know how easy it is to let your mind spiral. I have experience with exactly this thing.

Let me give you confidence that she is not in pain. She may not even know she is sick. The infection would not be severe enough for her to even note it.

Even if the doctor offers to put her down you don't have to accept that offer tomorrow. If it really is salpingitis, I know what to tell you to look for. I can tell you what the indication of suffering is. I promise you it is not immediate.

In Australia, they will do surgery to remove the reproductive tract. I have heard of hens getting implants to stop the laying process. Maybe one of these options will be available.

Try to stay relaxed. She will feel your tension and anxiety and react herself. Until you know, it's not worth putting additional stress on yourself and her.

Please you are not alone. We are here. Let the news come to you don't try and anticipate it. Instead enjoy some time with all of them. Your journey together should not be ending tomorrow.
:hugs :hugs:hugs
Thank you. Very wise words. I do feel though that having decided to consult a professional I should listen to their view.

I am with you. I think getting white legbars is a great idea but maybe spring would be a better time. And Lucky is very happy with Ned and @BY Bob could never have split them up. Bob, you can spend the winter planning the adjustments to Fluffy Butt Acres to create a bit more room for everyone. :love :love

I am with you. I think getting white legbars is a great idea but maybe spring would be a better time. And Lucky is very happy with Ned and @BY Bob could never have split them up. Bob, you can spend the winter planning the adjustments to Fluffy Butt Acres to create a bit more room for everyone. :love :love
I like this idea... Coop extension = more chickies for everyone.

War indeed!
I have been waiting to report in on my electric fence experiment but as it might help you I will go for it now.
First it is not that hard to set up. Not as easy as described(!) but definitely doable. But the fascinating thing is the impact it has had on the visiting wildlife - the raccoons and the foxes. I have had the fence up for 10 days and not a single one has visited. Normally I get a couple of visits almost every night.
I can't explain it except that they somehow know it is an electric fence and stay away. Worth a try!
This is awesome. Can you share more details?

This is Dotty (I think - they are getting harder to tell apart).
She is always in a hurry and always vocal but not always clear on what direction she wants to go in.
Neither of the young ladies has mastered the art of slow elegant walking - it is all run or fly with them all the time.
This is so fricken cute I can hardly stand it.❤️

Back
Top Bottom