Thanks! This could just be our breaking point... DH was all “no way, we can’t go through winter without a toilet, and no outhouses”, He was not particularly enthusiastic about a composting toilet either (only slightly illegal here, just like our jury-rigged septic tank we don’t have for the RV).

My plan of attack is to start looting the other broken down trailers for parts first. There’s one supposedly working RV toilet that was pulled out of a ‘78 trailer sitting in a junk pile, then there is one other trailer of a similar vintage that might have one I could steal parked between our RV and house build.

Today though I’m off to the Abattoir DH works at on the other island with 28 birds, almost all cockerels. Then to yet another Abattoir on Vancouver Island to pick up the missing pork from my Friend. we bought a side of pork he raised, but this plant “lost” it. Due to their Covid protocols they don’t allow you out of the vehicle to check your load, and put the invoice in one of the boxes, it took him a while to realize he was short our side, all the leaf lard, and another customers ground pork. Apparently they found our missing box, though the ground and lard are still questionable. I’m going to see if I can get him a refund or credit towards his next years processing fee. Got to put that decade of front end retail management to use whenever I can!
Good luck!

Sansa's Revenge

So I started the cameras in order to monitor tonight's roosting. By the time I turned it on Lilly was already roosted. This first video shows Phyllis roosting and then Hattie comes in. Phyllis has to get out of her way so that Hattie can get to her spot. Phyllis jumps down and then quickly jumps back up.

In our second video of the night we see the incident that I believe sets Sansa off. She is supposed be next to roost but Aurora forces her out of the coop.

In video 3 Sansa comes into the coop. She has decided to get her revenge on everyone below her in the pecking order. She starts with Phyllis and Hattie throws in an assist. Phyllis quickly jumps down and then back up again. Sansa goes up onto the high roost and then turns her ire on Sydney. Watch closely as Sansa tries extract her revenge on Sydney in this and the next video.

In the final video, Sydney gets up on the high roost and Aurora enters, snacks, and heads to her roost. She would jump up with no trouble.

All in all, a pretty peaceful roosting as things go here. Things are definitely calmer now.
And I thought some here were unfriendly.:D

As I have thought many times, and maybe posted at least once, I really admire your tenacity and cheerfulness in the face of adversity. You are an inspiration. Seriously!
I second that. It's a great reminder for me that things can always get worse.....:p
Seriously Kris, you do incredibly well under the circumstances.

Replaced Again

I was getting ready this morning to go out and have coffee with the ladies when I heard Lilly crowing. She did it 3 times this morning. I just missed recording the third one. Here is what I did catch with my video.

It's a bit disconcerting I find. I immediately think there is some kind of problem in their keeping arrangements I should be addressing. Tap has been crowing after egg laying recently.:confused:

It's a bit disconcerting I find. I immediately think there is some kind of problem in their keeping arrangements I should be addressing. Tap has been crowing after egg laying recently.:confused:
I am seriously wondering the same thing. If I am late going out, Aurora is in my chair when I should be there. Then the crowing. Thankfully it's not loud. I don't need my neighbor complaining again! Why does she need to crow?

I can't imagine Lilly crowing after egg laying. She only laid about 5 eggs this year to start. I can imagine her hormones are not normal these days.

The hens wanted to see what I was doing today. Chicken prints all over my bathroom floor, from cement I put down, after moving a shower drain in the front house. (Yes, they stomped thru soft fresh mortar, I had just put down. Tomorrow, I will set the shower pan, but I'm keeping the birds locked up when I do it this time! (I can't blame them, they are just curious):lau:love
Now I have to go wash some chicken feet!

Back
Top Bottom