I can try! It would involve getting up close to the pop door and looking in before the autodoor closes. I have considered getting a couple of coop cams, what type & brand do you all use?

The main coop human access is from the back, but it's disruptive to open it very far when they've settled down, though I have briefly checked on them that way. I can tell you because I have it that the coop light comes on for 5 minutes before the autodoor closes that they seem to pick spots in there and stick to them, but it's not an unchanging arrangement.

Last week I hung out with them near the pop door while they went to roost and I think it changed their routine and caused the following: Queenie went in first, but then came right out again just as Hazel was ready to go through, and sat on the door jamb, looking out. She was blocking the door, and everyone else was lined up ready to go in. What gives here? Confusion. Hazel was supposed to go in after Queenie, and tried to get by her, clucking and making it very obvious she wanted to go in. Queenie was denying her. Gandalf on the bridge!

Clearly the proper thing to do would be to let everyone in. Why this shenanigans now? Hazel tried to wedge in on the side. Nope. Can't go over. Side again? Nope. She even wedged herself under, drove herself between Queenie's legs, pushing very hard with her feet. She got halfway under there, Queenie was partially standing, but not giving way. I wish I had my phone for that picture! "Fluffy butt under determined gaze." Hazel was really struggling and shifting her feet and kept pushing, but it was clear Queenie was pushing back harder. Interestingly, not any sounds from Queenie that I could tell. The quiet dominance was impressive.

Hazel backed away, and Queenie sat down again. Hazel pecked her head pretty hard twice, and Queenie lowered it but didn't budge an inch. Everyone else was upset and clucking now. What gives? Then Hazel went nuts and did some football-style rush, scrambling up onto her in some way that succeeded. Either she went over her or Queenie gave way, or both. Okay, they're both in. "Are we done now?" Butters, Popcorn and Peanut quickly and quietly filed in. Goodnight!

What was that all about?

I wish I could tell you what brought that behavior on. Sometimes they are just hysterical with this roosting stuff. I am picturing this and laughing so. Thanks for that. You should not hold stories like this back from us. :lau:gig:lau:gig

I think this could be called a "Passive Gandalf". No pecking, just body blocking.

Last edited:
I managed to get home before dark today thanks to a doctor appointment. I let Ned and the layers out for a bit of sun.

View attachment 2552572
View attachment 2552574
View attachment 2552575
View attachment 2552576
View attachment 2552577View attachment 2552582
My gosh little Ned is all grown up and spectacular! And those pantaloons on Lucky! 😍

All of your birds just look wonderful. I feel like I haven't seen them in a while. I'm glad they got some time in the sun. ☀️☀️☀️☀️

Oh I think they are so cute! :love
What is the liner you are using there - with the handy tie-ups? Is that something like a picnic table cover?
That is a feed sack that i cut into to line the cage with. It's easy to clean and in theory, *glares at the tiny terrors* should keep them from throwing sawdust out on my floor.

Well, I have a visitor temporarily. While my daughter was riding Russ this evening I was alerted to a white chicken in the creek. Ok, I do not have a white chicken. Go inspect and sure enough, on the rocks is a white chicken, that at first I thought was dead. Upon closer inspection not dead, just very tired, didn't fight me when I picked it up. It's got some injury to its tail as it appears feathers have been ripped out but trying to inspect that I was clearly stressing it out. So I did what any reasonable chicken crazy person would do, stuffed it in my spare dog crate with food and water. I couldn't leave it, in its state it would be eaten by morning, but I do not want it out with my flock. I took a few pictures to share on facebook so hopefully it's owner can be found as it cannot stay. I'm thinking maybe its a rooster.
DSCN3285.JPG

DSCN3283.JPG

Well, I have a visitor temporarily. While my daughter was riding Russ this evening I was alerted to a white chicken in the creek. Ok, I do not have a white chicken. Go inspect and sure enough, on the rocks is a white chicken, that at first I thought was dead. Upon closer inspection not dead, just very tired, didn't fight me when I picked it up. It's got some injury to its tail as it appears feathers have been ripped out but trying to inspect that I was clearly stressing it out. So I did what any reasonable chicken crazy person would do, stuffed it in my spare dog crate with food and water. I couldn't leave it, in its state it would be eaten by morning, but I do not want it out with my flock. I took a few pictures to share on facebook so hopefully it's owner can be found as it cannot stay. I'm thinking maybe its a rooster.
View attachment 2552626
View attachment 2552628
Poor fella. I hope his tribe are not missing him.

View attachment 2552626
View attachment 2552628

I'm sure he appreciates the helping hand. I totally agree with a roo.

Tomorrow after a good nights rest I plan on looking his injuries over more closely. The only other person I know who has chickens lives about a mile up the road and he isn't one of theirs. With the flooding though I can see how he got misplaced. I just hope his owner claims him and soon. I feel for the poor guy, but he simply cannot stay. I also searched for about 30 minutes after he was found looking for others but didn't find any more.

View attachment 2552626
View attachment 2552628
Thank you for taking it in and giving it a chance. I imagine with the flooding it was having quite a time as well as being attacked. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom