I Just Can't Resist

Before
20200625_080529.jpg

After
20210302_181800.jpg

I can try! It would involve getting up close to the pop door and looking in before the autodoor closes. I have considered getting a couple of coop cams, what type & brand do you all use?

The main coop human access is from the back, but it's disruptive to open it very far when they've settled down, though I have briefly checked on them that way. I can tell you because I have it that the coop light comes on for 5 minutes before the autodoor closes that they seem to pick spots in there and stick to them, but it's not an unchanging arrangement.

Last week I hung out with them near the pop door while they went to roost and I think it changed their routine and caused the following: Queenie went in first, but then came right out again just as Hazel was ready to go through, and sat on the door jamb, looking out. She was blocking the door, and everyone else was lined up ready to go in. What gives here? Confusion. Hazel was supposed to go in after Queenie, and tried to get by her, clucking and making it very obvious she wanted to go in. Queenie was denying her. Gandalf on the bridge!

Clearly the proper thing to do would be to let everyone in. Why this shenanigans now? Hazel tried to wedge in on the side. Nope. Can't go over. Side again? Nope. She even wedged herself under, drove herself between Queenie's legs, pushing very hard with her feet. She got halfway under there, Queenie was partially standing, but not giving way. I wish I had my phone for that picture! "Fluffy butt under determined gaze." Hazel was really struggling and shifting her feet and kept pushing, but it was clear Queenie was pushing back harder. Interestingly, not any sounds from Queenie that I could tell. The quiet dominance was impressive.

Hazel backed away, and Queenie sat down again. Hazel pecked her head pretty hard twice, and Queenie lowered it but didn't budge an inch. Everyone else was upset and clucking now. What gives? Then Hazel went nuts and did some football-style rush, scrambling up onto her in some way that succeeded. Either she went over her or Queenie gave way, or both. Okay, they're both in. "Are we done now?" Butters, Popcorn and Peanut quickly and quietly filed in. Goodnight!

What was that all about?
The coop cameras that @RoyalChick and I use are Arlo wireless security cameras. They are battery powered so no need to run electricity. They connect wirelessly to a base unit which is plugged into your internet router. Then you access them via the web via an app. They are not cheap but they work really well. I believe that Costco carrys them now. The best advice I can give you if you decide to get them is get more in your initial purchase than you think you want. They are much cheaper as a package. I kept adding afterwards and it cost me more.

I love how they all said hello when you said 'say hello everyone'. I wish I could give an equivalent tour but I still can only move a few feet for all the snow and ice. I have high expectations of tomorrow - sun and above freezing in the afternoon at least.
They are well trained. 😉

I wish I could tell you what brought that behavior on. Sometimes they are just hysterical with this roosting stuff. I am picturing this and laughing so. Thanks for that. You should not hold stories like this back from us. :lau:gig:lau:gig

I think this could be called a "Passive Gandalf". No pecking, just body blocking.
I was way too busy last week to relay it. Never seen a chicken wedged under another! Glad the long post is okay. Yes, that's a good term! She was not actively fighting off Hazel. Passive Resistance.
There are dominance plays going on, but at least for these guys, different hens have the upper hand in certain places and certain situations. Queenie is totally submissive and avoids any confrontation with others in food situations. She waits for others to be done and doesn't barge in at all. I've seen Queenie get chased off a mealy worm scattering (so I keep scattering more elsewhere), and she gets warning pecks from everybody. She submits and quickly backs away. Usually with just a look from someone. When I'm handing out little mash balls or something she hangs in the back (though she will sneak in for a quick steal from the side if she gets the opportunity). I make sure to call her name and reach over the others to get her some shares early on (Peanut's in this boat too). Then this happens. Queenie, calm as Buddha, strong as steel and wide as the door, Passive Gandalf, submitting to pecks, yes, but nevertheless, is of the opinion that You Shall Not Pass!
:love

Well, I have a visitor temporarily. While my daughter was riding Russ this evening I was alerted to a white chicken in the creek. Ok, I do not have a white chicken. Go inspect and sure enough, on the rocks is a white chicken, that at first I thought was dead. Upon closer inspection not dead, just very tired, didn't fight me when I picked it up. It's got some injury to its tail as it appears feathers have been ripped out but trying to inspect that I was clearly stressing it out. So I did what any reasonable chicken crazy person would do, stuffed it in my spare dog crate with food and water. I couldn't leave it, in its state it would be eaten by morning, but I do not want it out with my flock. I took a few pictures to share on facebook so hopefully it's owner can be found as it cannot stay. I'm thinking maybe its a rooster.
View attachment 2552626
View attachment 2552628
Wow, a true Rescue!

Back
Top Bottom