I was very despondent last night. I'm not sure quite what prompted me to do it; maybe having a phone easily to hand. I rang my friend Mohammed. I think I've mentioned, he keeps Game Fowl.
I told him as much as I could about Fat Birds problem. He suggested massage. He said back in thhe day when his father had fighting cocks, sometimes a cock would get upended and land on his lower back. This dislocated caudal vertebrae
and sometimes damaged the nerves that send balance signals from the 'tail' nerves to the brain. We think, Gloria and I, that Fat Bird either banged her back just above this region, or now I think in retrospect that it is more likely that a tool handle such as a rake or broom got knocked over and hit her. All Tribe 1 was spending a lot of time in the care port at the time and stuff is always falling over.
Mohammed explained what I should feel for and a bit about how to massage gently pushing the joints upwards.
I gave it a try early this morning.
You would not believe the difference it made.
Fat Bird has been with her tribe all day. Her balance while not great is much improved. Considering yesterday she sat in just about the same place all day and hardly ate anything the change in her general demeanour is remarkable.
Let me show you.
This is the North earth retaining wall next to my house. There was no way Fat Bird would have attempted to come down this way yesterday; she would have split from the tribe and come down the South wall which has steps.
View attachment 2597817View attachment 2597819View attachment 2597822
Here she's having a bit of a sunbath and grooming. She hasn't been grooming much for quite a few days.
View attachment 2597823
Much better overall posture here and although you can't see it her feet are much better positioned.
View attachment 2597824
This is the one that had me worried. This slope is steep and if I have to go down it at this point I use a rope tied to the fence. The whole tribe had been down there and I saw the rest come over the top without Fat Bird and looked over the top of the fence expecting to see her stuck and sat down. She's eating on her way up. She made it all the way no problem.
View attachment 2597825View attachment 2597826

Mohammed says that the bones are unlikely to properly align again and if a nerve is damaged it's doubtful that it will properly repair. However, he believes that provided some relief is possible a chicken will in time learn to compensate for the lack of nerve response.
His view is that much like humans after an accident that damages the nervous system and may make walking almost impossible, if some relief can be provided they will learn to adapt. If on the other hand it is always too difficult then they stop trying.
Fat Bird still stumbled a bit today but I didn't see her fall over and she was normally active all day from what I could see. She went to roost with her tribe this evening. She was already on the perch when I went to look for her expecting she wanted carrying to the coop.
None of the above will sort out her internal problems but while she's coping with those I want to see her active, with her tribe and eating at least some commercial feed.
We all have to die, but I don't want her suffering needlessly on route.
I'm going to give her a half dose of Metacam in the evenings. Being in pain during the day for me at least is bearable. Being in pain when I'm trying to sleep, which is our natural escape, pisses me off and in time just brings me down.
This is such good news Shad! I'm glad that you were able to find a way to improve her quality of life! :love

I've had that happen before! I don't know what they do when we're not there and something like this happens. I imagine they get it down somehow, but it's probably not a very fun time for them. I'm glad you were able to help her Marie!
She was really in trouble. She literally came to me and she's always the one to run away. Thank goodness she trusted me.

Here is my girls little hideaway, so they can stay out in the rain and spy on me in the kitchen :)

20210410_183021.jpg

Back
Top Bottom