Poo Sample Identified

I think she is OK

20210410_074408.jpg

I don't want to bring people down but I do need to post about Fat Bird as it helps me come to terms with what is happening and the posts may help others, not just with their chickens health but with coping with the sadness that comes with watching death approach a creature one loves.
It's been a glorious day here. Warm sunshine, a slight breeze blowing up the valley and Spring in full glory.
View attachment 2596742

View attachment 2596743
I carried Fat Bird from the coop this morning so she could eat with the others. She hardly ate anything and about half an hour later I found her alone under the hay rack next to the sheep field.
I brought her down to the house, fed her a few pieces of walnut and she wandered outside and settled down next to the fence and the yellow maternity unit. She stayed there all day.
Cillin and Moon visited; In fact Cliin spent most of the day close by. I tried to get her to eat at lunchtime but all she would do is drink the water I put in front of her.
Evening came and all but Cillin went off to roost. Fat Bird showed no signs of wanting to leave her spot. Eventually I leant over the fence and picked her up and got her to drink a mixture of vitamins, Metacam and water. When I put her on the ground this is what she deposited on the ground and the second picture is what she deposited where she spent the day.
View attachment 2596745View attachment 2596746
The colour hasn't come up very well but the yellow is bright yellow and the pink is quite bright as well. All the chickens that I've seen poop these bright colours have died within a couple of weeks if not sooner.
I am told these bright colours are a sign of organ damage more often than not and that unfortunately is not something one can do much about.
There are no obvious signs that she is in any pain yet. With other chickens it has been pretty obvious so I think I know what to look for. She just looks tired.
I carried her up to her tribes coop at late dusk and placed her on the main perch. She settled against the coop wall having given Hurry a few pecks to move her along the perch so she could shuffle to that spot.
So sorry Shad! It's hard to watch a pet you love come to the end of their life! :hugs

There is some looong (like over 2 feet!) grass up against the chicken run where the mower doesn’t reach. Will have to trim it up pronto, as they pulled a couple long pieces through the hardware cloth and ate them whole. Not great for crops.
One of my girls almost choked with long grass, luckily I managed to gently get it out

One of my girls almost choked with long grass, luckily I managed to gently get it out
I've had that happen before! I don't know what they do when we're not there and something like this happens. I imagine they get it down somehow, but it's probably not a very fun time for them. I'm glad you were able to help her Marie!

Back
Top Bottom