Photo Essay

I have been putting this one together for @Shadrach and the other Lilly fans. Here she is in her glory. This is an early morning photo session and I think she is just lovely in the early morning sun. ☀️

View attachment 2653246View attachment 2653247View attachment 2653248View attachment 2653250View attachment 2653252View attachment 2653253View attachment 2653256View attachment 2653257View attachment 2653260View attachment 2653264View attachment 2653265
She looks beautiful, Bob. And great finale!

I am so overwhelmed by everyones kind words regarding the passing of Roo. I wanted you to all know that reading through each and every one of your replies meant a lot to me and it was nice to be able to talk about Roo with other chicken lovers.
@featherhead007 @Marie2020 @Ribh @BY Bob @Scrambles83 @RoyalChick @LaFemmeKatia @ChicoryBlue @LozzyR @micstrachan @Shadrach

You asked if I had other chickens, I don't have a traditional flock. My flock all started with a feral hen (Chickadee) that adopted me last May and decided to move into my backyard permanently with her baby chicks. Roo was one of her baby chicks, so I basically watched him grow up. Eventually other neighborhood chickens joined Chickadee and moved into my backyard as well. My chickens are free ranging and roost in the trees in my backyard. They may be feral chickens, but I do consider them my pets and I love them dearly. This was my first time dealing with the loss of a chicken and I never would've guessed a year ago that losing a wild chicken could hurt so much, but these chickens sure have a way of worming their way into our hearts 😢

The vet believed that Roo had cocci, so we were treating him for that. You'd think that living on an island full of wild chickens that we'd have a lot of vets that treats chickens, but that was not the case. There was only one vet on island that had any experience treating chickens and I'm glad that I found her. I did see some improvements when I started giving Roo medicine, but I think I may have caught it too late because he never did get back to normal and eventually he got worse and passed away before I could bring him to the vet again 😢
I've just had a brief look into various ways of preventing this disease. I do not know if you can acquire these plants or herbs or even if you could grow some if them in your area.
Maybe you can find these natural preventatives online. I will certainly look these up for my own girls.

It is too late for your one little guy but hopefully you can help the others by finding a solution. I use a clay power which I add to their food but after reading up I want to find more to aid their defences.

I'm adding this link here in hope it may help. https://www.justagric.com/how-to-treat-coccidiosis-organically-in-chickens/

Thanks! I was a bit worried water would just run down the neck and underneath, but it doesn't seem to be doing that. Once it stops raining though, I think I'll put a bit of silicone over the stitching. There's silicone on the main hems underneath but there are a few seams where the water is seeping in, a bit of silicone should fix that.
I wondered about the stitches. I never knew how they did that.

I was opinionated when I was born and knew nothing.:p:D
But according to @Ribh you are now "entitled" to be opinionated because you have earned it with your knowledge. So that is a little different as it seems that your knowledge has caught up to your mouth. :p

I am so overwhelmed by everyones kind words regarding the passing of Roo. I wanted you to all know that reading through each and every one of your replies meant a lot to me and it was nice to be able to talk about Roo with other chicken lovers.
@featherhead007 @Marie2020 @Ribh @BY Bob @Scrambles83 @RoyalChick @LaFemmeKatia @ChicoryBlue @LozzyR @micstrachan @Shadrach

You asked if I had other chickens, I don't have a traditional flock. My flock all started with a feral hen (Chickadee) that adopted me last May and decided to move into my backyard permanently with her baby chicks. Roo was one of her baby chicks, so I basically watched him grow up. Eventually other neighborhood chickens joined Chickadee and moved into my backyard as well. My chickens are free ranging and roost in the trees in my backyard. They may be feral chickens, but I do consider them my pets and I love them dearly. This was my first time dealing with the loss of a chicken and I never would've guessed a year ago that losing a wild chicken could hurt so much, but these chickens sure have a way of worming their way into our hearts 😢

The vet believed that Roo had cocci, so we were treating him for that. You'd think that living on an island full of wild chickens that we'd have a lot of vets that treats chickens, but that was not the case. There was only one vet on island that had any experience treating chickens and I'm glad that I found her. I did see some improvements when I started giving Roo medicine, but I think I may have caught it too late because he never did get back to normal and eventually he got worse and passed away before I could bring him to the vet again 😢
:hugs :hugs:hugs it can be so hard. They hide sickness so well that it is usually pretty late when you even notice.

Back
Top Bottom