I was so afraid I would hear this. Breaks my heart. Please know that you did what you could. Chicks go so fast.

:hugs :hugs :hugs
X2 - this was likely a situation going on prior to your getting them I think. Three weeks old, I bet they were not on medicated chick feed prior to coming to you and they should have been. So you did the best anyone could have done, you had what would be a raging fire on your hands from the get-go. :hugs

X2 - this was likely a situation going on prior to your getting them I think. Three weeks old, I bet they were not on medicated chick feed prior to coming to you and they should have been. So you did the best anyone could have done, you had what would be a raging fire on your hands from the get-go. :hugs
I agree. They were already sick when you got them. So sorry.

Last edited:
Yeah, they weren't on medicated feed prior.

Yeah, they weren't on medicated feed prior.
Or medicated water...wondering about the rest of the hatch actually, poor little ones! My understanding is the adults can cope with it in the environment because they've built up resistance, but the little ones need help fending it off for about eight weeks until they get some resistance too. If chicks or adults don't encounter it until they go to a new place, or they get a weakened system due to stress or something, they can still develop illness later. So for chicks, who really have so little defenses and die so easily, help with medicated feed or water is a good "just in case" strategy. That's all I know.

But you were dealt a bad hand here. There's likely nothing you could have done. Repeating this because you probably need to hear that again. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this now. :hugs

Last edited:
Or medicated water...wondering about the rest of the hatch actually, poor little ones! My understanding is the adults can cope with it in the environment because they've built up resistance, but the little ones need help fending it off for about eight weeks until they get some resistance too. If chicks or adults don't encounter it until they go to a new place, or they get a weakened system due to stress or something, they can still develop illness later. So for chicks, who really have so little defenses and die so easily, help with medicated feed or water is a good "just in case" strategy. That's all I know.

But you were dealt a bad hand here. There's likely nothing you could have done. Repeating this because you probably need to hear that again. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this now. :hugs
This information is very valuable to me. I'm 99% natural alternatives. In the back of my mind I would like to raise my own chickens when and if circumstances allow. So really need to know as much as possible. If not for myself but to sensibly guide other's in my area.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Elizabeth dropped by to ‘assist’ me in typing on my phone.
Happy Sunday chicken people.
495DD376-EA17-4BA0-B973-1A9A5E4EDB58.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom