I've started adding ginger powder too my girls feed, I read it's a big help to getting their vitamins to where they should be. Plus add crushed oyster shells into their food. :hugs
They are on layer pellets so they get oyster shell in their food already.
I think calcium absorption may be the issue and I need to read up about that.
I know phosphorus, magnesium and manganese are all important for calcium metabolism and are all present in sunflower seeds. So I am giving some sunflower seed every day as well.

Diana produced this.

Looks pretty good to me. I let her out to play in the chicken yard. She seems perky though hasn’t produced another poop yet.

Meanwhile, while she was in the hospital ward someone else - Elizabeth I think - produced a shelled but very thinly shelled egg that got broken all over the roadrunners eggs.
And Maggie has been in the nest box on two consecutive days but not laid an egg.

Sigh. Calcium supplements for everyone!
Did you have the same heat wave last week? It's quite possible this is all stress from the heat. Hopefully if it is, Diana will be able to bounce back.

They are on layer pellets so they get oyster shell in their food already.
I think calcium absorption may be the issue and I need to read up about that.
I know phosphorus, magnesium and manganese are all important for calcium metabolism and are all present in sunflower seeds. So I am giving some sunflower seed every day as well.
Some shredded zucchini would also be good. It's high in manganese and water, so I would cover 2 things at once.

Did you have the same heat wave last week? It's quite possible this is all stress from the heat. Hopefully if it is, Diana will be able to bounce back.
Oh - I hadn't thought of that. The temperature swings have been so crazy I lose track
I hope that is all it is.
:fl

Some shredded zucchini would also be good. It's high in manganese and water, so I would cover 2 things at once.
I will give that a go - last time I tried they looked at me like I was trying to make them eat leeks (we have an ongoing debate about leaks!).

Naenae is struggling again today. 🥺
Brought her into the house this morning. Did the Epsom salt bath again. Gave her layer feed mixed with whole greek yogurt. She is very tired, but is eating and drinking water.
She isn't pooping normally. Much smaller amounts. The color looks normal.
She did have quite a bit of dried poo under her fluff. I got it off...very carefully bc I didn't want to hurt her or scare her. It took me two different attempts bc I was being so cautious.
I am keeping her in overnight to observe her. This is how she acted last week right before the shell less egg.
She is so young, and her eggs are generally large and double yoked.

I have them on layer pellets and have oyster shell out 100% of the time in a separate feeder...not sure why her shells are giving such issues. 🥺

@RoyalChick
So glad to hear Diana is doing better. Remind how old she is? I recall pretty young, but I mix up ages often
Well to me she is very young, but I gather for production breeds she is an old lady.
I don't know exactly how old she is because I adopted her, but give or take a month she is 2 years and 4 months old. So she is definitely at the end of her laying life. But I had hoped she would have a long and comfortable retirement.

Well to me she is very young, but I gather for production breeds she is an old lady.
I don't know exactly how old she is because I adopted her, but give or take a month she is 2 years and 4 months old. So she is definitely at the end of her laying life. But I had hoped she would have a long and comfortable retirement.
That is young in my mind too. Now I'm really worried about Naenae...who was just born at the end of Jan 2021. 😭

Back
Top Bottom