Lol 😆🤣😂
We have large cat sized slugs here, they cut large!
Here's a pic from the internet since its to dark at night to get a pic of the real ones!
No no no no NO! That is just wrong. Is that for real? I am hoping it is a made up thing with photoshop. You really need to put that in a spoiler, I just can't un-see it. Oh boy, wait until I tell me Princesses about that! :lau :sick

First thing this morning my grandmother called wanting to pick me and Rosie up to go pick some lettuce a friend was going to give her. I was finally forced after almost 2 years of avoiding it to tell her that I was not comfortable anymore with her driving. With the many health issues she has now she does not need her license but refuses to give them up. It looks like it is going to take my mom forcefully getting power of attorney over her to get them taken away. Now, I love my grandmother, and would do anything in the world for her, but dementia is setting in, and she has always been one that if you are not doing something for her she has absolutely no use for you. We also get into many arguments over how I am raising Rosie. I'm going to get her killed messing with horses, or kidnapped because I let her outside to play in our neighborhood by herself. If she had her way, and she's tried, Rosie would be afraid of her own shadow. Also she is a hoarder. Me and mom have tried for years now to go help clean her place up and just get rid of garbage and she throws fits and ends up in tears claiming we treat her like dirt.

Anyway, me and mom and Rose head down to her house, intending to pick her up and go pick this lettuce for her. Get there, and she'd had someone else go get it for her. Ok fine, you still need to go to the store and pay bills, lets go. Nope ends up sending me and mom to the store and bills can wait to the end of the month.

We get back and unload everything and convince her to let us help her by washing her dishes which had piled up. So she decides ok, she'd take a nap. While she's sleeping and mom is washing dishes me and Rose go clean her bathroom for her and do her laundry.

Due to her hoarding, she has a mouse problem. She claims she's only had a few mice for the last 2 months and has been setting traps and killing them. While yes it's true she's got traps set, and may be getting a couple here and there, but, this has been going on longer then 2 months.

Mom was almost finished with the dishes and I was waiting on the 2nd load of laundry to finish washing when we took a break and went outside to smoke. Out there maybe 5 minutes when it all went to crap. On our way back in as soon as we opened the screen door there he was. She has a 5 foot black snake in her house. Cue instant heart attack #1 for me. We scared the snake as much as he scared us so he doubled back and hid in the junk she had piled up along her living room wall.

Grandma also spotted the back end of the snake as he ran and swears she didn't know he was in there. This freaked her out so bad that for once she demanded we catch him even if it meant throwing everything along that wall away. 5 hours later, with about 10 different mice flying out at me when I'd move a box and half her living room clean. STILL NO SNAKE!! At this point me and mom are exhausted, when I came across a nest of baby mice and she had a idea. Since she refused to come home with us, her plan was to use one of her minnow traps and place the baby mice inside it to lure the snake in. I told her she's crazy but she swears it will work, she's caught copperheads before using that method. Fine, whatever, but that snake is too fat to fit through the opening. It also meant I got the lovely job of catching the baby mice. Now these were not pinkies, they had fur and could run around and jump. I hate mice almost as much as snakes and those little devils were jumping all over the box they was in so I was in the middle of heart attack 12 or 13 at that time. But I caught them, all 7 and they are now in minnow trap and its placed right beside her stove where we think maybe the snake escaped to.

It has been a long trying day and my nerves are shot. BUT, she wants all the junk out of her house now. While she is in this frame of mind me and mom plan to do as much as we can as fast as we can. Because one wrong word, or the wrong thing gets tossed she'll do a 180 and decide everything is once again useful and needs to stay.
Oh my gosh, Rebecca! How scary and exhausting!

Since the girls that are currently laying have decided that the newly replenished hay stack is once again the preferred place to lay their eggs Drumstick has to build a new nest every other day. Here he is hard at work this morning, while Clover and Daisy are yelling at him to hurry up.
https://www.facebook.com/100003915274138/videos/pcb.2152515198222302/960185631191255
Oh my! Drumstick is sooooo cute building that nest! He is beautiful to look at, yes, but I also love his voice!

Last edited:
Oh my! Drimstick is sooooo cute building that nest! He is beautiful to look at, yes, but I also love his voice!
I could listen to Drummie all day long. I know I focus a lot on the hens and babies but Drumstick is my boy. When I came home last night and got a pot of coffee made and made my post I was soo tempted to pull a Alex and bring him off the roost and inside with me for a bit. But he was already on the roost, and had apparently got up their on his own according to my dad I just left him be. Instead I did the next best thing. Took my pot of coffee and cup and went outside and sat with the chickens and horses for a hour. Hearing the chickens quietly talking amongst themselves and the horses eating was much needed therapy. Russ knew I was anxious and between bites of hay kept nuzzling me on the shoulder and head. Talked to grandma this morning and so far no sign of the snake. I honestly believe that the thing has found a way inside and has been coming in for a while now feasting on the mice and going back out. Hopefully that is the case and overnight he went back outside, but if it is still in there, well, in a way he is doing her a favor with the mouse problem. And truth be told, if we had known this would have jump started her to get rid of some stuff, we'd have lied and told her we saw a snake years ago. Oh and another positive from being down there so late last night, without me there to put everyone to bed Creamy and Remi had decided that getting up on the roost with Butter and Bunny was not a terrible idea after all. They were snuggled up beside Butter and the other 3 were on the top bar of Russ's stall. Since it was so dark out, and I didn't turn on the barn light I was able to place them up beside the girls and every stayed on the roost like big chickens all night long. Huge success that has only been 3 weeks in the making with epic fails after placing them there and having them decide after a hour nope that is not where we are supposed to sleep and flying down, in the dark. If they are consistent in sleeping there for 2 more days I will then be able to start working on training the other 7 chicks of Clover's to sleep up there. They are showing signs of being ready and I'm hoping they wont be as difficult and hard headed.

Here he is, still angry and inside the trap. He will be released in the swamp next to the barn. I do not want him released in my yard with all the chicks around. That and I already have 1 that scares me every so often in the hay pile. Grandma did not want him turned loose outside, wanted to kill it instead. Heading back down in a bit and taking the trap back to reset just incase there is more then 1. This time baiting it with 2 fresh eggs from my girls. And while she is still in the mood, more cleaning.
DSCN4261.JPG
DSCN4263.JPG
DSCN4268.JPG

Well, I owe grandma a apology in a few minutes. Just called, snake is in the trap and she want's it out now. As soon as mom gets ready heading down to retrieve the snake. And hear the "I told you so" from her when I called her crazy for her minnow trap idea.
Please just relocate the snake. He's a good one. 👍

Back
Top Bottom