I think you would look it up like this.View attachment 2736321
Phyllis could take it!

20201204_115016.jpg

Not worried. Upset.

SPOILER - Feel free not to watch this video. It is deeply upsetting.

Why does Maggie drag her out of the nest box - it isn't even the box Maggie likes to use?
Why does Diana lay into her once she is pinned on the floor?
Why is there such a prolonged and brutal attack?
Why, once she escapes doesn't she run out - there are lots of exits and lots of space?
What did poor little Minnie ever do to offend?

I know there is nothing I can do about this but it is really distressing to me.
Wow, that was brutal! :( Poor Minnie!

I did it! I am feeling proud of myself because I actually got the Shad method of taking a chicken off the roost to work for me. Admittedly not with Maggie - but to give Diana her medicine last night it worked like a dream. Very proud of myself - feels like a useful new skill.
I also have a question - I am doing a much-needed tidying up of chicken 'stuff' - mainly I bought in a panic when I first got the Princesses because I wanted to be a good Mom and have everything a chicken needed. In the heap are two bags of food grade diatomaceous earth. Why would I need that? I think people add it to dust baths - is that why it was on my essential chicken supplies list? Or should I have been doing something with it all along and I have been neglectful of my ladies?
No way are you neglectful. We have a huge list to take into our heads to fulfill all of their needs. From what I read on all you do and the advice you have given me, you are one of the best.

As for me I've still got my L plates on as a chicken mama ;) i have a very long way to go on catching up with you

Will there be a cover over the wine barrel or will it be inverted?

I was looking at my current, store bought coop. The nesting boxes have a removable floor. I was wondering if I could take the floor away and position a large planter under it. I will provide pics if i decide to try it. It might take some finagling. 🤔
I think the wine barrel will be on its side with some planks blocking the entrance to keep the soil and straw in but not so much the hens can't hop in there.

I get what you're saying about taking the floor out. I'm sure you'd be able to get hold of a square, deep planter that would give a nice snug fit.

Back
Top Bottom