Just thought I would post a couple of pictures... My chicken coop and yard are in my vegetable garden. My husband built it for me. During the winter the chickens have free range during the day all through the garden, and I plant a cover crop of kale, turnip, chard, and crimson clover for them to enjoy.During the growing year, I use a plastic fencing I got at Lowes that does a great job of keeping them away from various crops. I created my 'Garden Goddess' as a way to ward off danger. I have fun redressing her each spring. Below is my little rescue Charlie Ann. I taught her to respect my Wyandotte Silvia. I have always loved this picture.
IMG_6767.jpg
silvia and charlie (1).jpg

Just thought I would post a couple of pictures... My chicken coop and yard are in my vegetable garden. My husband built it for me. During the winter the chickens have free range during the day all through the garden, and I plant a cover crop of kale, turnip, chard, and crimson clover for them to enjoy.During the growing year, I use a plastic fencing I got at Lowes that does a great job of keeping them away from various crops. I created my 'Garden Goddess' as a way to ward off danger. I have fun redressing her each spring. Below is my little rescue Charlie Ann. I taught her to respect my Wyandotte Silvia. I have always loved this picture.
. View attachment 2013372View attachment 2013376
How big is your garden Susan and how many chickens do you have.....I know, I'm terribly nosey.:p

That's why I'm committed to these cockerels. I don't want to do it again either. I use a dog crate, so it's more open, but outside, and with mom, is so much better!

Thanks for the update on Hinge!
And for me.. which this is probably the obvious but.. I feel they are more and much quicker excepted by the flock than the ones you integrate yourself.. I had given my broody Silkie some baby Cochins to adopt and those were so much easier integrated with mom... and not because she was there to protect them.. they just didn’t seem to mind them as much as others I put in.. and I keep my new ones in a brooder inside the run.. but still...

And for me.. which this is probably the obvious but.. I feel they are more and much quicker excepted by the flock than the ones you integrate yourself.. I had given my broody Silkie some baby Cochins to adopt and those were so much easier integrated with mom... and not because she was there to protect them.. they just didn’t seem to mind them as much as others I put in.. and I keep my new ones in a brooder inside the run.. but still...
I'm lucky in having worked with free range and battery chickens when I was younger. I knew nothing about the backyard chicken keeping craze when I joined BYC and kept finding myself amazed that anyone would choose the incubator/broody coop/manual integration method.
After a while I realised that many here either don't want, or can't keep roosters and that does limit ones options when it comes to replacing birds, or expanding the flock.I also assumed that most kept their backyard chickens much like my elder sister keeps hers. She has a back yard and the chickens have free run of it. A bit like @SusanFelts arrangement above.
I've dealt with a lot of roosters as well and despite my roosterist stance, I know they can be a complete nightmare and quite intimidating at first. I had to play dodge the roosters as a kid collect the free range eggs.

Back
Top Bottom