Are those California Whites in the last photo? California Grays? Dorothy was supposed t ok be a California White, but only had a few tiny flecks of black (gray, really)
White sapphires: crested legbar crossed with white leghorn. They're supposed to have small crests, but so far...nothing. The last batch of chicks (Pear, Mama, and Rusty included) we said yes to the mystery chick. Only yellow chick in the bunch. Promptly dubbed Mystery. Roo (had 6 in that bunch) still no crest at 5 months. That's when 4 went to freezer camp. Rusty became flock rooster when Buster was killed. The other giant roo had already been rehomed. Family had 1 hen (2 years) and had just gotten several babies. Kids loved idea of shiny black rooster and he was promptly dubbed Raven. Have a story about him!

They're beautiful! Are they named?
My gosh. I forgot to include their names! Let's try this again.

Cora
20211023_213402.jpg

Olive
20211023_213432.jpg

Elsa
20211023_164204.jpg

So sorry ladies. 😞

@BY Bob
I've been thinking about your hawk problem.
The hawks from what I can recall arrive and perch on your fence and wait for an opportunity. One way to prevent this is to make your fences hawk unfriendly.
You can do this by fixing two wires on top of the fence about an inch above the fence top and the next an inch above that. A six inch screw driven a couple inches into the top of the fence every three feet should enable you to get a reasonable tension on the wire and the thread in the screw once you winf the wire around it should hold the wire at the correct height.
You could do this quite easily all around your yard if necessary.
It wont prevent an attack but it will force the hawk to make it's move when it arrives at your yard if it can't find any easy perch from which it can fly off from.
Thanks Shad. This seems like a good idea. They do also roost in the birch tree and on the shed, even the roof of the run. But this would at least take the fence away, especially around the backside of the magnolia tree which would certainly make that a safer space.

I'll try and do that this weekend.

I had a hen, Margaret, who refused to perch on the roost. Instead, she stood under the roost with her head between her bestie's feet . and they slept like that - ALWAYS...her head tucked under her bestie's body, between her feet, and frequently, her bestie would rest her head on her back.

One of my heavy molters is Margaret's daughter. (Pic below. She is starting to look better, will get updated pic soon) &
Nice gratuitous egg photo. All those pretty colors. :barnie

Here is a pic of RIP Bob cutting loose, everyone down the on the bay and up the hill could hear him, he was VERY good at his job, a bit to good, Attacked me just one to many times-- I love Roosters but I have way to many chicken pocks on my legs from Bob-- I am hoping if I get a Brown LG rooster he will do better with humans

Bob was a good looking rooster even if he wasn't good to you. :love

Back
Top Bottom