? The hormone implant only lasts a month? Wow...I thought they lasted longer. Lot of trauma for a hen to go through that for it to only last such a short time.:(

I hope she is okay in the spring:fl:fl

How old is Naenae?
She will be 1 in January.
Yes, this shot only lasts 1 month. The next option was ~500$ just to buy the hormone (which would be saved for us as it has multiple doses)...add in the 100$ office visit each time. I'd have done it as next step, but wasn't winning popular vote with hubby (wouldn't stop me, let's be honest 😉).

I'm not recalling the names of each hormone therapy @micstrachan also has some firsthand experience.

20211128_082526_capture.jpg

More Naenae 🥰

Yes, this shot only lasts 1 month. The next option was ~500$ just to buy the hormone (which would be saved for us as it has multiple doses)...add in the 100$ office visit each time. I'd have done it as next step, but wasn't winning popular vote with hubby (wouldn't stop me, let's be honest 😉).

I'm not recalling the names of each hormone therapy @micstrachan also has some firsthand experience.
Suprelorin (Deslorelin Acetate) is what my vet implanted. It was very effective.

:(
Let's hope Naenae doesn't need it in the spring!

Good morning everyone. I've been quite lately so as not to overrun the thread in Bob's absence but I now find myself with a possible situation that is going to warrant close monitoring. It involves the silkies, more specifically Lil Bit. I have been confident from 4 months old onward that I had 1 boy and 2 girls, now I'm questioning it. Lil Bit is starting to give me mixed signals and I could very well have a late developing 2nd cockerel on my hands. First thing I've noticed in the last month is in "her" hackles she's getting some copper coloring. Branch is also doing this but he does not have as much as Lil Bit. Lil Bit has a single comb and right now it is still small so that is a good sign for a pullet. Branch has also been attempting to mount her which I thought was a good sign. Then this morning when I let them out Lil Bit went right up to Poppy and grabbed her behind the head just like she was going to try to mount her. To be honest that is when alarm bells went off. What is going on here, surely Branch wouldn't be trying to breed another male daily for the past month would he? Was this interaction this morning between my supposed 2 girls a dominance issue over who got to eat breakfast first? If Lil Bit is a male there has been absolutely no crowing yet to my knowledge. They all turn 6 months old Sunday, but I've had the silkie people tell me they have had cockerels not reveal themselves until 8 or 9 months old. It looks like I'm going to have to grieve and torture myself over "her" until she either lays a egg or crows. I'm praying and crossing everything possible that Lil Bit is in fact a girl, But, we all know my luck with the cockerels and the cockerel fairy this year.

Back
Top Bottom