We are ready to Proceed

On the good news front, Aurora has already laid her egg for the day. I can close off the complex and give the newbies the run of it for a few hours.

This afternoon I will release the newbies into the yard. The old gang will get to free range all day.

The Complex is Open
20200222_092545.jpg

Praying for your Gal, and any other feathered friends in need of a little Support (Chickie and Nolia, that means you too!) And I would second the finger probe starting point... doesn’t make you popular, but it sometime helps; but with the shell less egg it might be something more complex as well. I’d up her calcium with some tums loaded treats too just Incase. Sometimes it just takes them a little time to get back on track I find after a not good lay. :hugs
Thanks. :hugs

I wouldn't give antibiotics until you know for certain there is something wrong with her that the antibiotics will treat.
Thanks. I was just concerned about possible egg material left in her oviduct. Rusty’s EYP started with soft eggs. I haven’t given her anythi g except calcium and this morni g she is pretty perky.

Thanks. I was just concerned about possible egg material left in her oviduct. Rusty’s EYP started with soft eggs. I haven’t given her anythi g except calcium and this morni g she is pretty perky.
When Dink laid her first soft shelled egg I took her to the vet and the vet flushed her out. Some bits of shell were removed along with egg yolk and membrane. No medication was given and she was fine afterwards until she got killed by a hawk.
I've two more since then. Blue Spot who was 11 years old contacted EYP or some other reproductive problem. At that age, it's just one of those things that kills hens. It's just like the problems that tend to kill humans when they get old.
I've had one other yoounger hen lay a broken shelled egg. This was due to the way she laid eggs and her position in the nest. I flushed her out this time and she is still living and laying eggs.
There is a faction on this forum who believe they know better than any vet and also seem to believe that heavy chemicals are the answer to just about every complaint. Mention scaly leg mite you'll get told Ivermectin, mention any wounds and you'll get told antibiotics. It seems to be a cultural thing to a certain extent.
I've given antibiotics twice here in the last ten years on the advice of my vet. Never in the two years I had bantams and never when I worked for 6 years on my uncles farm caring for the free range chickens there.
You must of course do as you see fit but please bear in mind that the advice you got the last time didn't save your hen if my memory serves me.

When Dink laid her first soft shelled egg I took her to the vet and the vet flushed her out. Some bits of shell were removed along with egg yolk and membrane. No medication was given and she was fine afterwards until she got killed by a hawk.

I've had one other yoounger hen lay a broken shelled egg. This was due to the way she laid eggs and her position in the nest. I flushed her out this time and she is still living and laying eggs.

What do you mean exactly by flushing out? I get the finger probe - but flushing sounds like syringes and water. Is that what you did?

Back
Top Bottom