It is really nasty out there and I don’t think I can safely get from the house to the Chicken Palace to take some mugshots for Monday.
The Princesses however are very happy. It is much warmer than the 3 degrees F it was yesterday morning.
The pasture run is full of mud to play in and the wet is seeping into the covered run creating some lovely damp patches to explore.
There are icicles dripping down from the pasture run cover which they all love, particularly Maggie. They reach up and snap off the icicles and swallow them.
Here is Minnie’s mug from yesterday - it shows how her red breast has got lots of grey jewels in it since her molt. So cute!
565ABB53-378D-4B21-BB78-CAFB5413D372.jpeg
FA5792E9-8DD2-4517-99A1-C59C7873A2CB.jpeg

Monday Mugs are from grouchy Raven. I made her wait her turn for the box yesterday. To be honest though, if I had known what a pretty gem she had waiting for me, I would have thrown Bunny out of the box.
DSCN6096.JPG
DSCN6094.JPG
DSCN6093.JPG

And this is the beauty she laid. I'd like a whole carton of these please Raven. I know the pink/purple is extra bloom, but, I will pretend she's trying to live up to her 1/4 Easter Egger lineage.
DSCN6117.JPG
DSCN6118.JPG
DSCN6122.JPG

It is really nasty out there and I don’t think I can safely get from the house to the Chicken Palace to take some mugshots for Monday.
The Princesses however are very happy. It is much warmer than the 3 degrees F it was yesterday morning.
The pasture run is full of mud to play in and the wet is seeping into the covered run creating some lovely damp patches to explore.
There are icicles dripping down from the pasture run cover which they all love, particularly Maggie. They reach up and snap off the icicles and swallow them.
Here is Minnie’s mug from yesterday - it shows how her red breast has got lots of grey jewels in it since her molt. So cute!View attachment 2963388View attachment 2963389
The Roadrunners are so pretty. I do not care for blue eggs, but I sorta would not mind them if I had a girl that looked like those.

The Roadrunners are so pretty. I do not care for blue eggs, but I sorta would not mind them if I had a girl that looked like those.
Thank you, I will tell them! If it helps at all they don't lay many eggs - each Roadrunner is a couple of eggs a week kinda gal. And you have lots of dark eggs so the contrast would be quite pretty.
Their eggs are also quite small. Well Dotty manages a normal sized egg but Minnie's eggs are usually tiny.

Monday Mugs are from grouchy Raven. I made her wait her turn for the box yesterday. To be honest though, if I had known what a pretty gem she had waiting for me, I would have thrown Bunny out of the box.
View attachment 2963384View attachment 2963385View attachment 2963386
And this is the beauty she laid. I'd like a whole carton of these please Raven. I know the pink/purple is extra bloom, but, I will pretend she's trying to live up to her 1/4 Easter Egger lineage.
View attachment 2963387View attachment 2963390View attachment 2963391
Very pretty egg.

I have two to compare.
The first is Elizabeth on the roost. I remember standing right there and puzzling why she seemed so relaxed but was making that sound. Maybe something she saw out the window (I couldn’t see a thing but that doesn’t mean much).

The second is one I know she was warning the flock. I don’t remember if I could see what was worrying her.

They are very similar sounds and could both be alerts. But it seems to me the ‘possibly relaxed’ one is louder and a bit harsher.
Or do you think they are the same?

Rest In Peace Elizabeth. I am sorry you had to leave us so young.
Oooohhh!!! Great comparison! Yes, they are similar, but the first one is a little higher pitched to me. I wonder if they are the same or different calls?

Thank you, I will tell them! If it helps at all they don't lay many eggs - each Roadrunner is a couple of eggs a week kinda gal. And you have lots of dark eggs so the contrast would be quite pretty.
Their eggs are also quite small. Well Dotty manages a normal sized egg but Minnie's eggs are usually tiny.
I actually do not mind sporadic layers, I think it is better for the hen to either be a sporadic layer or take breaks throughout the egg laying cycle even if it means going broody. I want long lived chickens, not a egg almost every single day of the year. What we should do is swap our grouchy girls, my Raven for your biter, it is Minnie right? You would have your black girl and I would have a pretty blue egg layer. But that honestly would not work, she may be grouchy, and a trouble maker but I love my troublemaker too much to part with her. In saying that, unless I went a hatchery route I honestly have not saw any legbars posted on the sales pages or craigslist. I may get their catalogues, but I will avoid the hatchery route for many reasons.

Here is Minnie’s mug from yesterday - it shows how her red breast has got lots of grey jewels in it since her molt. So cute!View attachment 2963388View attachment 2963389
She really is stunning! 🥰

View attachment 2963384View attachment 2963385View attachment 2963386
View attachment 2963387View attachment 2963390View attachment 2963391
That is one beautiful egg! 😍

And lady that gifted out to you! 🥰

Back
Top Bottom