I have two to compare.
The first is Elizabeth on the roost. I remember standing right there and puzzling why she seemed so relaxed but was making that sound. Maybe something she saw out the window (I couldn’t see a thing but that doesn’t mean much).

The second is one I know she was warning the flock. I don’t remember if I could see what was worrying her.

They are very similar sounds and could both be alerts. But it seems to me the ‘possibly relaxed’ one is louder and a bit harsher.
Or do you think they are the same?

Rest In Peace Elizabeth. I am sorry you had to leave us so young.
I've gotten myself so twisted up that I'm not certain anymore. They both seem like alerts to me.

She was a lovely lady and is missed. :hugs :hugs

I actually do not mind sporadic layers, I think it is better for the hen to either be a sporadic layer or take breaks throughout the egg laying cycle even if it means going broody. I want long lived chickens, not a egg almost every single day of the year. What we should do is swap our grouchy girls, my Raven for your biter, it is Minnie right? You would have your black girl and I would have a pretty blue egg layer. But that honestly would not work, she may be grouchy, and a trouble maker but I love my troublemaker too much to part with her. In saying that, unless I went a hatchery route I honestly have not saw any legbars posted on the sales pages or craigslist. I may get their catalogues, but I will avoid the hatchery route for many reasons.
Minnie is a sweetheart - it is Dotty who bites. A trade is tempting but I am committed to Dotty even though she bites!

I actually do not mind sporadic layers, I think it is better for the hen to either be a sporadic layer or take breaks throughout the egg laying cycle even if it means going broody. I want long lived chickens, not a egg almost every single day of the year. What we should do is swap our grouchy girls, my Raven for your biter, it is Minnie right? You would have your black girl and I would have a pretty blue egg layer. But that honestly would not work, she may be grouchy, and a trouble maker but I love my troublemaker too much to part with her. In saying that, unless I went a hatchery route I honestly have not saw any legbars posted on the sales pages or craigslist. I may get their catalogues, but I will avoid the hatchery route for many reasons.
Yes I agree they should only lay a couple times a week... My gang has finally slowed up!!!

Either that or they r hiding eggs 🤣

I only want a couple of pets you know... A couple eggs a week.... Now look at me, the crazy chicken lady!!!

Minnie is a sweetheart - it is Dotty who bites. A trade is tempting but I am committed to Dotty even though she bites!
I knew you felt the same way about your troublemaker as I do mine. Raven does have her moments though where I yell at her that I should have let mom name her Crow. When I discovered she would bite if you reached under to to get a egg I threatened her with the crock pot and turning her into chicken and dumplings. I had to reach under her that day, she and Butter were both fighting over the box and throwing other hens out with 3 eggs already in the box. I was afraid they would be broken. The bat bit the back of my knuckle and drew blood but I saved the eggs. I've pegged her as a girl that I pray does NOT go broody, I think she could be even more ill tempered then momma hen.

I knew you felt the same way about your troublemaker as I do mine. Raven does have her moments though where I yell at her that I should have let mom name her Crow. When I discovered she would bite if you reached under to to get a egg I threatened her with the crock pot and turning her into chicken and dumplings. I had to reach under her that day, she and Butter were both fighting over the box and throwing other hens out with 3 eggs already in the box. I was afraid they would be broken. The bat bit the back of my knuckle and drew blood but I saved the eggs. I've pegged her as a girl that I pray does NOT go broody, I think she could be even more ill tempered then momma hen.
You are saying it all wrong. All you need to do is whisper “Kentucky Fried Chicken and I bet you will get the required response! :old Especially from Raven.:D

You are saying it all wrong. All you need to do is whisper “Kentucky Fried Chicken and I bet you will get the required response! :old Especially from Raven.:D
If whispering KFC worked, then Momma Hen would never flog me when it comes to helping her take care of her chicks. By helping I'm talking about filling their feeder and waterer. I do not even try to touch them, but nope, she comes at you. She is small, and only has 1 foot, but when she means business she can hurt. I am the only one who will put myself in the line of fire for her chicks. Mom will help, and by helping I mean holding her after I catch her while she is in the process of beating me. Once you catch her and hold her tight she resorts to trying to bite anywhere and everywhere. If she were a rooster she would have been soup long ago. I tolerate this behavior though because even though it is a hassle, if you want smart, predator savvy well adjusted chicks, she is one of the best. But, I do not want another game hen, or one of her biological daughters.

Mugs Monday

Please accept this video for mugs Monday. There is a great shot of Aurora and Sydney drinking together. This video also highlights an issue I am having right now. I keep putting fresh straw in the nest boxes in case someone wants to sleep in them so they are warm. My problem is that they love scratching through fresh straw to eat something in it. So every time I fill the boxes, they toss it out looking for food. 🤷‍♂️ Lilly is doing that in the background in the video.

Mugshot Monday pic of the day:
If whispering KFC worked, then Momma Hen would never flog me when it comes to helping her take care of her chicks. By helping I'm talking about filling their feeder and waterer. I do not even try to touch them, but nope, she comes at you. She is small, and only has 1 foot, but when she means business she can hurt. I am the only one who will put myself in the line of fire for her chicks. Mom will help, and by helping I mean holding her after I catch her while she is in the process of beating me. Once you catch her and hold her tight she resorts to trying to bite anywhere and everywhere. If she were a rooster she would have been soup long ago. I tolerate this behavior though because even though it is a hassle, if you want smart, predator savvy well adjusted chicks, she is one of the best. But, I do not want another game hen, or one of her biological daughters.
okay, don’t use KFC, you could try Foster Farms Chicken? :eek::idunno:oops:

Back
Top Bottom