I've gotten myself so twisted up that I'm not certain anymore. They both seem like alerts to me.

She was a lovely lady and is missed. :hugs :hugs
I think so, too. Yes, I know I wondered earlier, but this just happened…

I decided to have a sit in the run with the girls with a cuppa coffee and bring them some Greek yogurt. I’d like them to be out most of the day again today, but I do have some inside things to do, so I was gonna shower and do that before letting them out of the run. Sunny always beelines straight for my lap and she was sitting in it. When the girls had had their share of yogurt they started to mill about my feet. There was some sort of a noise I could not identify, and several of them did that thing where they jolts their heads upright. Right away, Sunny did a high-pitched trill and everyone went still. Then Minnie did the quieter, lower pitched rumble. They were both definitely alerts, and I think they were both based on hearing something rather than seeing something.

Speaking of seeing and hearing things… I have not seen the hawk this weekend at all. I do hear it a little ways off. And this morning when I was sitting in the run, I heard a red tailed hawk. They live here, but I seldom hear them at my house.

It is really nasty out there and I don’t think I can safely get from the house to the Chicken Palace to take some mugshots for Monday.
The Princesses however are very happy. It is much warmer than the 3 degrees F it was yesterday morning.
The pasture run is full of mud to play in and the wet is seeping into the covered run creating some lovely damp patches to explore.
There are icicles dripping down from the pasture run cover which they all love, particularly Maggie. They reach up and snap off the icicles and swallow them.
Here is Minnie’s mug from yesterday - it shows how her red breast has got lots of grey jewels in it since her molt. So cute!View attachment 2963388View attachment 2963389
Her breast is LOVELY! My road runner does not sit still long enough for photos. 🤣 I can’t take great pics at roosting time, either.

I think so, too. Yes, I know I wondered earlier, but this just happened…

I decided to have a sit in the run with the girls with a cuppa coffee and bring them some Greek yogurt. I’d like them to be out most of the day again today, but I do have some inside things to do, so I was gonna shower and do that before letting them out of the run. Sunny always beelines straight for my lap and she was sitting in it. When the girls had had their share of yogurt they started to mill about my feet. There was some sort of a noise I could not identify, and several of them did that thing where they jolts their heads upright. Right away, Sunny did a high-pitched trill and everyone went still. Then Minnie did the quieter, lower pitched rumble. They were both definitely alerts, and I think they were both based on hearing something rather than seeing something.

Speaking of seeing and hearing things… I have not seen the hot this weekend at all. I do hear it a little ways off. And this morning when I was sitting in the run, I heard a red tailed hawk. They live here, but I seldom hear them at my house.
I am going to try and observe for this trill and the circumstances of it. But definitely not today - it is waaay too icy to brave the slope down to the Chicken Palace unless I absolutely have to, the Princesses are having a fun day so I will leave them be.

Mugs Monday

Please accept this video for mugs Monday. There is a great shot of Aurora and Sydney drinking together. This video also highlights an issue I am having right now. I keep putting fresh straw in the nest boxes in case someone wants to sleep in them so they are warm. My problem is that they love scratching through fresh straw to eat something in it. So every time I fill the boxes, they toss it out looking for food. 🤷‍♂️ Lilly is doing that in the background in the video.

I love the video, especially that synchronized sip! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom