Good morning everyone. I'm soo looking forward to this afternoon. It is supposed to reach 45 degrees. After almost 2 weeks in the 30s or below this is going to feel heavenly. I have so much stuff I need to get done outside, but, what I'm looking forward to most is just sitting outside in the sun with the chickens. Chiquita is definitely being let loose for supervised time today for as long as I'm outside.

😁 I think l it's the red laces he doesn't like or that they are very big and clunky. He doesn't do anything nwhen I wear other boots or such...

-20C is chilly but to really appreciate cold one needs to spend time in a northern remote location where it gets to -45C brrrr don't dare blink if you eyes water, your eye lashes will freeze together 😆😆.

Whining about weather tax:

Spendy time with the geegees

View attachment 2974020
Oh look. The white chickens hang out with the white horse and the black chickens with the black horse.
It is more than ‘birds of a feather’!
:lau

I really worry about my silkies one is a frizzle, bit they seems ok, the barn is about -10C at is coldest past few weeks, at night they stay in the hen house where it's around or just above the freezing point (0C or 32F). They seem ok, my fizzle has decided it's time to go broody, so i am letting her sit on n a cozy warm nest box, her sister is thinking about being broody so the two hang out esp at night in that nest box snuggled together they look so darn cute together, but for practicality it's good they are together for warmth.

I. Hoping for some milder weather next Tuesday were it says it will be around 0C (32f). Personally I can't wait I hate winter and cold and snow... I suffer more than the chickies it seems!

Yee gads more whining tax...

Henny Penny and her 4 chicks (they r now 15weeks)

View attachment 2974021
Mine seem to cope just fine down to the mid 20sF. They start puffing up a lot below that.

I really worry about my silkies one is a frizzle, bit they seems ok, the barn is about -10C at is coldest past few weeks, at night they stay in the hen house where it's around or just above the freezing point (0C or 32F). They seem ok, my fizzle has decided it's time to go broody, so i am letting her sit on n a cozy warm nest box, her sister is thinking about being broody so the two hang out esp at night in that nest box snuggled together they look so darn cute together, but for practicality it's good they are together for warmth.

I. Hoping for some milder weather next Tuesday were it says it will be around 0C (32f). Personally I can't wait I hate winter and cold and snow... I suffer more than the chickies it seems!

Yee gads more whining tax...

Henny Penny and her 4 chicks (they r now 15weeks)

View attachment 2974021
Beautiful photo. 😍 Terrible weather.🥶

Good morning everyone. I'm soo looking forward to this afternoon. It is supposed to reach 45 degrees. After almost 2 weeks in the 30s or below this is going to feel heavenly. I have so much stuff I need to get done outside, but, what I'm looking forward to most is just sitting outside in the sun with the chickens. Chiquita is definitely being let loose for supervised time today for as long as I'm outside.
I'm very jealous. It is 9°F here right now. 🥶

Outside in the Bitter Cold

I should have locked them in last night. These knuckleheads came out first thing this morning.

original - Big Run_20220127_72750-1.jpg

Screenshot_20220127-073645_AccuWeather.jpg

The Polish are still in the garage. At least until 9 am. I am monitoring the temp.

I have 2 comments to make before you build the rest of the coop. (will make a nice coop!)

1) The directions for the door are a bit flawed. As you see, you DO need a header. However, since they measured 36" BEFORE accounting for the extra side studs to support the header, their door opening is actually only 32 3/4 " wide. So, whatever size door you want, be sure to allow for the width of the 2 extra studs (1 each side) in the opening.

2) NEVER screw metal or plastic corrugated roofing on the low part of the curve. Even with roofing screws, it is asking for trouble (leaks) sooner than it should. Use these spacers , and screw through the HIGH point of the corrugation:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-...Closure-Strips-6-Pack-92770/100067957#overlay

They go under roofing panel @ roof member, screw through panel, through plastic 'spacer', and into roof support member.

A couple final comments:
1) I don't know where in VA you live, but if in the mountains or somewhere where it gets cold, I would suggest putting either a sheet of plywood (painted/stained) under the metal roofing, or a thin insulation (the silver-colored bubble stuff would be fine. REASONING: In winter, moisture from the chickens will condense on the cold metal roof and 'drip down', in the summer, the metal roof will heat up, creating a hotter than needed coop in the dog days of summer. Either the plywood or thin insulation will help with this.

2) As suggested that you can add windows: I definitely would add 2, one on each side, for cross ventilation and added light.

3) Low ventilation in the back for better air flow...in low (cooler air)...warm moist air rises up and out the top back. (i.e. vents low below the high riser for roof)

4) Consider orienting the high part of the roof the front instead of the back, unless you are going to put gutters on. Otherwise you will be walking through a sheet of rain/water whenever it storms & you need to enter/exit the coop.

Okay, that's my 2 cents💰, for what ever 2 cents is worth these days.🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom