Dear friends, I’m very sad to have to tell you I had Chickie euthanised this morning. Sunday to Tuesday she seemed to be having really good days but this morning, she was lethargic, reluctant to leave the run and would stand hunched with her eyes closed. I decided that this was not the behaviour of a chicken that is healthy and I didn’t think she was going to get any better. So I made the (very) hard decision and called the vet. Dr Nikki isn’t working today so Dr Kevin did the deed. I decided I would bring her back home and bury her next to Emily and we had a good cuddle first. I followed Shad’s example and buried her with a bit of cheese so she could pay the ferryman.

When it gets less crazy, I might buy a couple of shrubs to plant over Emily and Chickie, for now they have rocks so I know where they are. If it’s ok with Bob, I will post some of my favourite photos of her as a tribute.

Dear friends, I’m very sad to have to tell you I had Chickie euthanised this morning. Sunday to Tuesday she seemed to be having really good days but this morning, she was lethargic, reluctant to leave the run and would stand hunched with her eyes closed. I decided that this was not the behaviour of a chicken that is healthy and I didn’t think she was going to get any better. So I made the (very) hard decision and called the vet. Dr Nikki isn’t working today so Dr Kevin did the deed. I decided I would bring her back home and bury her next to Emily and we had a good cuddle first. I followed Shad’s example and buried her with a bit of cheese so she could pay the ferryman.

When it gets less crazy, I might buy a couple of shrubs to plant over Emily and Chickie, for now they have rocks so I know where they are. If it’s ok with Bob, I will post some of my favourite photos of her as a tribute.
I'm so sorry. I'm so glad she had those good days. She will be missed. :hugs :hugs

Please post all the pictures you would like. I would love to see them!
:hugs

I found out that in PA and CA livestock feed is considered essential. Places like Tractor Supply will not close then. The national feed association is lobbying state governments so they can stay open.
Yes, same in NJ. I confess to being quite relieved about that!

Dear friends, I’m very sad to have to tell you I had Chickie euthanised this morning.

If it’s ok with Bob, I will post some of my favourite photos of her as a tribute.
Oh I am so sorry to hear that. :hugs :hugs
I would love to see tribute photos of Chickie and I think you gave her a wonderful life including those last few days when she was living her chicken life more fully. Remember her that way.

Yeah, that's too bad. They love to have a bit of freedom, and a new area to scratch around, but hawks are deadly and able to maneuver tight spaces.

I think your parakeet aviary sounds awesome. I'd love to see a photo of that. I love a spoiled bird. :love
I designed and hubby built.. I am very happy with it and I know the birdies love it! I have six.... Mango, Pineapple, Bananabelle, Kiwi, Pistachio, and Green Bean :D
AF83EBB2-DC5A-48BF-A9E8-9610318B44DB.jpeg
987464CF-5869-4576-B22E-7F4C79FF6E9F.jpeg
4D4D10AD-B7EA-4556-96D9-A7934962E7FD.jpeg
C944F78D-9EB9-4F46-AFFD-0D8FCE3E30DB.jpeg
6415DEE8-CD38-401C-81D8-03FBCCF93BF3.jpeg

Maybe you can rig some bird netting over top that space like the use for fruit trees. Would not recommend for the main run or coop but for a free range space might work. My only worry on this advice would be if we/you would run a foul of some gov regulation like Migratory bird act should one become entangled and/or injured . Interested to see what others think or propose
Their coop/run is completely secure and covered with a roof.. I added a pretty big yard to that and that one is covered with netting.. then we put up some more fencing so they’d have another yard to use occasionally.. don’t think I can cover that one.. it is under some huge trees that drop tons of leaves... but thank you for the ideas :)

So very sorry :hugs...

Mel at the window again.
She's been hanging around the house a lot these last couple of days. There is something going on in the tribe that I have yet to work out.
View attachment 2061259
Well I think the answer why Mel is sitting at the window is obvious. The paint on the window really sets off the colors in her feathers and the red of her comb. She is admiring the effect in the glass and knows she looks fabulous ! :lau

Back
Top Bottom