Thank you! Yes ears were in the consideration set for Maggie’s stumbling and we never had a definitive diagnosis on her. Somehow watching it I didn’t feel it was ears but I may be wrong.
Darn these chickens, why can’t they just tell me what is wrong with them?!
No lips. 💋 That's why they can't tell you what is wrong. In case you were really asking.

Feather Loss

One of the things that has frustrated Sydney snd Phyllis was an inability to effectively peck and thereby bully Betty. With all the fluff she has they had trouble locating a spot where they could effectively hit her body.

Like all enterprising chickens, sadly, they have found a way. Look at these photos and you can see the vulnerable spot which they have located.

View attachment 3108732View attachment 3108734

Dominance Event

Betty is primarily pecked at while snacks are being distributed. Sydney will run her off anytime but mostly it is the usual bottom of the pecking order stuff. Well yesterday during a snack session, just about everyone including Aurora had been harassing her. I think she had enough. As the snacks were finished there was an incident between Betty and Hattie. It was so unexpected that I have no film or photos.

Betty was looking over the top of everyone, I think looking for Éowyn. Therefore he neck was extended. I believe that battery life Hattie day her and mistook it for a potential attack. Hattie immediately turned to face Betty, flared her neck feathers, and made some sound I have not heard before.

Betty did not back down. She flared her neck feathers, as best she can, and vocalized back at Hattie.

There was a pause as they stared at each other. Then they broke eye contact and each went their separate ways.

I liked that Betty stood up for herself and my guess is she somehow explained herself and Hattie accepted it. I wonder if Betty will be pushed so far that she might stand up to Phyllis or Sydney at some point. I'd like for them to settle down with all the pecking. I don't like seeing a bald spot on my Betty.
Blu-kote if it gets sore? :(

They are! Whoever has said chickens are 'dumb' or 'stupid' or 'bird brained'( in a derogatory way) Really have not spent any time with them! They are smart, crafty, curious (though cautious around new things - understandable given they are prey animals), and can be quite determined little buggers! :lau

I have a 'safe pen' attached/inside an 'extended pen. The extended pen is surrounded on 3 sides by 5' chainlink fence. My determined - though heavier dual purpose BR - would manage to fly to the top of the 5' fence. So, I had some snow fence (green). With the help of some fiberglass rods, I put the 4' snow fence on top of the chainlink fence, overlapping ~ 1'. So, the fence was now ~ 7' tall (2+ meters), AND, the snow fence is 'wobbly'. Well, they still wanted out...and after just 2 days...a handful have learned to launch themselves AT the top of the 5' chainlink fence. Their 'thrust' pushes the snow fence enough so they can sort of land on top of the chainlink fence...then they 'fly-walk' up the snowfence, and hop over!:barnie:barnie:barnie

The sooner I am able to expand the pen and put in an 8' fence (plus cover) the better!!:th
I'm laughing but it's not that funny really. It would be awful if they escaped

You're far from stupid, you think out so many things. Imo you're a very intelligent lady.
I will try persuading Maggie of that.
She is sitting right here by my side.
Wish me luck!

07575B2A-5212-49D6-A9FC-7D2E60EC99B6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom