We have a Winner in the "First Newbie to Fall in the Open Pool" Contest!

It took 1 day!
20200406_123754.jpg

Fortunately, Mrs by Bob is here to dry her off and warm her up while I work.

20200406_123820.jpg

Last edited:
We have a Winner in the "First Nebie to Fall in the Open Pool" Contest!

It took 1 day!
View attachment 2077639

Fortunately, Mrs by Bob is here to dry her off and warm her up while I work.

View attachment 2077644
Oh for goodness sake! How on earth did you get her out? I ask this because I also have a pool and am terrified of this eventuality. I was a life-guard in high school so I have images of jumping in to rescue!
And, by the way, those are both lovely pictures - it looks like Mrs. BY Bob is making soothing chicken sounds. Adorable!

Oh for goodness sake! How on earth did you get her out? I ask this because I also have a pool and am terrified of this eventuality. I was a life-guard in high school so I have images of jumping in to rescue!
And, by the way, those are both lovely pictures - it looks like Mrs. BY Bob is making soothing chicken sounds. Adorable!
They generally wind up at the skimmer. The current pushes them there and I just scoop them up. If they are too far out I use the pole to push them to the edge. They don't usually fight too much. It's a beautiful day so she will dry nice.

I did not yet install the critter ladder. I definately will tonight. Maybe they will be able to use that in the future.

Daisy's Dip

Sansa reminded me of the one time Daisy, the greatest hen ever, fell in the pool. It was over 90° F (32°C) when she fell in. I let her spin around the deep end two revolutions to cool off before I rescued her! :lau

1586195540129_20181117_083706.jpg

The one time that Maleficent fell in she got right out on her own. I was shocked. :eek:
20190602_200653.jpg

Aurora actually got a wing stuck in the skimmer. She got sucked right in and pinned. That was scary.
20190805_170521.jpg

I know that Hattie has never been in the pool. I'm not sure about Lilly but I really don't think so. Patsy was in once. I have no idea where that photo is.

Elphie was killed by falling in the pool. I suppose I should write that story up and share it. I've been holding off telling that story as it's my fault. I nearly gave the chickens up completely at that point. 😥

Daisy's Dip

Sansa reminded me of the one time Daisy, the greatest hen ever, fell in the pool. It was over 90° F (32°C) when she fell in. I let her spin around the deep end two revolutions to cool off before I rescued her! :lau

View attachment 2077700

The one time that Maleficent fell in she got right out on her own. I was shocked. :eek:
View attachment 2077702

Aurora actually got a wing stuck in the skimmer. She got sucked right in and pinned. That was scary.
View attachment 2077712

I know that Hattie has never been in the pool. I'm not sure about Lilly but I really don't think so. Patsy was in once. I have no idea where that photo is.

Elphie was killed by falling in the pool. I suppose I should write that story up and share it. I've been holding off telling that story as it's my fault. I nearly gave the chickens up completely at that point. 😥
Oh wow. That is quite a collection. Whenever you are ready to tell us about Elphie, we will be an understanding audience. I am amazed at Aurora and the skimmer - hard to imagine my skimmer being strong enough for that - it barely deals with a leaf!

When will someone make water wings for chickens? I imagine there would be a good market for them. I'm guessing if/when their feathers get fully saturated they would sink like a rock. No one in my immediate family can swim - I think it is a genetic defect - :gigBut no pools out here, except in the very wealthy neighborhood a couple of miles from here.

When will someone make water wings for chickens? I imagine there would be a good market for them. I'm guessing if/when their feathers get fully saturated they would sink like a rock. No one in my immediate family can swim - I think it is a genetic defect - :gigBut no pools out here, except in the very wealthy neighborhood a couple of miles from here.
They float extremely well from my experience. Daisy was pretty saturated.

Back
Top Bottom