When Jabber Attacks!

I captured a Jabber attack on video tonight. I had fed the big ones mealy worms over in the far corner of the yard so I could separate the littles and let them ot for some grass. I let the littles out and set down in my chair to watch them, same as last time. Only this time I put the old nesting box walls around my legs in case he did come over to not provide an easy target for him.

It seemed to work too. The biggies started to roost. With Patsy in first, then Jabber, Lilly and Hattie. I could hear the usual roost squabbling and thought I had pulled it off. Then came the thump of someone getting knocked off the roost. It was Lilly and so she decided to come back out and snack some more. That inspired Hattie and out she came. Those 2 don't get along and they immediately separated and Lilly came towards me and Hattie went towards the house.

Having 2 of his hens no longer on the roost was too much for Jabber. Out he came. He saw Lilly over near me and his decision was made. He came over to where I was sitting. He saw my nesting box and tried to peck over it. He decided it was no barrier for someone as tough as him and over the box he came. Here is the video of his assault.

Last edited:
When Jabber Attacks!

I captured a Jabber attack on video tonight. I had fed the big ones mealy worms over in the far corner of the yard so I could separate the littles and let them ot for some grass. I let the littles out and set down in my chair to watch them, same as last time. Only this time I put the old nesting box walls around my legs in case he did come over to not provide an easy target for him.

It seemed to work too. The biggies started to roost. With Patsy in first, then Jabber, Lilly and Hattie. I could hear the usual roost squabbling and thought I had pulled it off. Then came the thump of someone getting knocked off the roost. It was Lilly and so she decided to come back out and snack some more. That inspired Hattie and out she came. Those 2 don't get along and they immediately separated and Lilly came towards me and Hattie went towards the house.

Having 2 of his hens no longer on the roost was too much for Jabber. Out he came. He saw Lilly over near me and his decision was made. He came over to where I was sitting. He saw my nesting box and tried to peck over it. He decided it was no barrier for someone as tough as him and over the box he came. Here is the video of his assault.
Too funny.:lol: Your feeble fortifications are no match for the Jabber.

edit - Have you thought of using a long flexible switch to keep him at a distance and teach him some respect? If you will rehome him the new owners may not enjoy his antics.:hmm

Too funny.:lol: Your feeble fortifications are no match for the Jabber.

edit - Have you thought of using a long flexible switch to keep him at a distance and teach him some respect? If you will rehome him the new owners may not enjoy his antics.:hmm

I tried using a long flexible switch but I just couldn't get the hang of it. The irony (I think that's correct) of the attack is that I had made arrangements with my Mom and Dad to cull and process him yesterday as he has become hyper aggressive. He actually came in the house after me a few weeks ago.

Fortunately for him, not us, my mother fell ill and had to be admitted to the hospital. I am searching for an alternate location to perform the deed. It's a temporary stay for him. I simply cannot re-home him like this. I would be devastated if he hurt someone. Besides, my Dad has promised he is up to the task of enjoying the meal.

:old

Maleficent wishes everyone a good night.
20190414_195456.jpg

Our other two residents came to us in April as chicks. My wife raised them until they moved outside and then they became my responsibility.

Hattie is our lavender orpington hen. She has not starting laying yet but i expect she will once the days turn longer.
View attachment 1633834

Jabberwockie, Jabber for short, was supposed to be an Easter Egger hen, however, he is clearly not a hen.
View attachment 1633836
He and Hattie are inseperable.

Jabbie is absolutely beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom