It really is. I actually don't mind it at all, if I'm home. I have the equipment to deal with it.

Right now I am tucked up in bed, two cats purring next to me, a cup of coffee on the nightstand, and all my chicken friends on BYC to hang out with. Not a bad way to spend the day.

And no socks on! 😁

Were also getting a cold front, today after the rain is for sure outa here the temp will start dropping and its gonna be our 4th freeze of the year tomorrow night. So ill be getting everyone squared up for that with fresh hay and shavings.

After i feed up though. Im going to get more hatching quail eggs from mr robby today :celebrate
Gurl... what do you do with so many...? Do you sell and eat..?

Lots of Work and a Close Call

So I'm back home in time for the storm. Thank the lord I beat it here.

Despite the fact that it is January, my snowblower was packed away in my shed. I never did the fall shed shuffle and cleaned out all the summer stuff and moved the snowblower to the garage.

Shame on me.

So now I had to do it in the snow.

The shed gathers junk all year long but never more so than in the summer and fall. This is what welcomed me when I opened the door. Somewhere in there is a very large snowblower.
View attachment 2005343

Here it is after I dug it out.
View attachment 2005344

With the blower out, next up was the girls.
They stood in the big run upset over the snow. So I scattered some cracked corn and sunflower seeds and then threw straw over it all to create a boredom buster for them.

After I had them happily scratching away, I checked for eggs, no such luck, and went to refresh the water in the heated dispenser in the coop.

That's when I saw it.

The water in the heated dispenser was frozen solid. :eek:

I brought it inside. My wife swears it was liquid last night. I have no means of refuting that so I have to believe her. 🤔

First things first, hot water in a standard dispenser to the run. They immediately surrounded it and started chugging.
View attachment 2005372

What was the cause?

I had to diagnose and electrical problem in a driving snow storm.

Fun.

Process of elimination started.

Was there power at the coop? No

Good, it's not the dispenser (they are very expensive)

Was the breaker thrown? No.

Was the GFI tripped? Yes. Problem solved.

None of this is anything i can expect my wife to do. Thankfully I was home.

Now to the question of why the GFI was tripped? That should only happen if there was a big rain storm and water got in the extension cord somehow. The last big rain storm was a week ago. It has been warm so it's possible the power has been off that long.

One flaw of the heated dispenser, no indicator light to tell you it's powered. Of course Hattie might use it as a night light for eating and drinking if there was one. :gig
Ga Bob.. where WAS that giant thing!? Could it be that you are as good as I am at organizing so as to be able to fit as much stuff in a space as you can and it all still have a place...

Right now we are cleaning and decorating for the girls sweet 16 party next Saturday.. it is a “decades party” 70s & 80s... I envision the room looking just like Woodstock’s birdhouse.. the one Snoopy gave him and then destroyed cuz he was jealous :lol:... with some 80s decor thrown in.. I’ll post pics when we are done..

Ga Bob.. where WAS that giant thing!? Could it be that you are as good as I am at organizing so as to be able to fit as much stuff in a space as you can and it all still have a place...

Right now we are cleaning and decorating for the girls sweet 16 party next Saturday.. it is a “decades party” 70s & 80s... I envision the room looking just like Woodstock’s birdhouse.. the one Snoopy gave him and then destroyed cuz he was jealous :lol:... with some 80s decor thrown in.. I’ll post pics when we are done..

I must see that. What a great idea for a party theme.

I have to clean out my shed at least twice a year because I just jam stuff in there rather than dealing with it. It's like batching my work to do all at once.

Right now I am tucked up in bed, two cats purring next to me, a cup of coffee on the nightstand, and all my chicken friends on BYC to hang out with. Not a bad way to spend the day.

And no socks on! 😁
I just went out and moved Pippi out of Mad's pen and fed all the outdoor critters, and I'm back sitting in bed too with a purring kitty next to me, the same one that makes my morning rounds with me. DH, DDH, is making breakfast. Life doesn't get better than this!

That sounds so cute! Pictures!!!

I am asking myself which of us is the crazy critter. Is it:
- 4 cats all snuggled up under the covers in my bed or up close to the radiators and snoring deeply. Ahem, I mean purring.
- 3 chickens all safe and snug on their roost chattering to each other. Lots of gossip to catch up on apparently from the last 5 hours since they woke up.
- Me, covered in snow from venturing out in the blizzard to check on the chickens.
I need to rethink my priorities!

I am asking myself which of us is the crazy critter. Is it:
- 4 cats all snuggled up under the covers in my bed or up close to the radiators and snoring deeply. Ahem, I mean purring.
- 3 chickens all safe and snug on their roost chattering to each other. Lots of gossip to catch up on apparently from the last 5 hours since they woke up.
- Me, covered in snow from venturing out in the blizzard to check on the chickens.
I need to rethink my priorities!

You certainly do. It's amazing how they have us doing this stuff for them.

I too am taking it easy today. Rich just left to start plowing and salting the roads. I'm just sitting on the couch relaxing. As soon as Rich left these 2 jumped up with me.

20200118_131826.jpg

Back
Top Bottom