I have some canned tuna that will probably never get eaten by us. Perhaps I can give them some of that. I'm especially worried about the cockerels because they are upset right now and I don't think they are eating enough. They are pacing and crowing all day. It's only been a couple days, and I think they will calm down, but if they don't I'll have to move them out of site of the girls for a while.
@Kris5902 knows quite a bit about dealing with obstreperous cockerels & bachelor pads too.

Yup, they love a bit of meat or fish. It's very good for them too. Meal worms are okayish but they have a very high fat content.
I have a pretty ready supply of venison because there is a big deer problem in my area and we are encouraged to allow people to hunt our land. The guy who hunts by me is a retired cop and seems very thoughtful about animal welfare, so I feel (more-or-less) safe with him traipsing around my woods with a gun, and feel assured that he won't leave a deer injured and in pain. I think of him like an efficient predator. Well that is my self-justification anyway! But the point is, that whenever he gets a deer in my woods which seems like about twice a season, he always comes round with packages of meat for my freezer. I eat it sometimes but it is hard to cook because it has almost no fat at all. Anyway, I have a bit of a backlog and am planning on stewing it up for the Princesses. I imagine they will take a finger or two of mine in their rush to gulp it down.

The wild boar here is a bit like that. It's best marinated for a bit.
You marinate for the chickens? Wow, now I feel like a truly inadequate chicken tender .. .. .. I am just hoping you marinate and eat some of it yourself before sharing with the chickens!

You marinate for the chickens? Wow, now I feel like a truly inadequate chicken tender .. .. .. I am just hoping you marinate and eat some of it yourself before sharing with the chickens!
:lol: They get some of what I cook for myself. I can only recall cooking specifically for the chickens twice. Both times for sick chickens.

I like posting pictures of the chickens here. If nothing else it gives people some idea of what their lives are like. I've got thousands of pictures. I hope nobody minds if I post a few random pictures, some with comment.:)
You could appreciate the omnivorous nature of chickens better perhaps by the look of Mel.
P6301618.JPG

Even in her less threatening posture she looks the part.
P7151628.JPG

Tap, Moon and Tyle as chicks.
P9301865.JPG

I have a pretty ready supply of venison because there is a big deer problem in my area and we are encouraged to allow people to hunt our land. The guy who hunts by me is a retired cop and seems very thoughtful about animal welfare, so I feel (more-or-less) safe with him traipsing around my woods with a gun, and feel assured that he won't leave a deer injured and in pain. I think of him like an efficient predator. Well that is my self-justification anyway! But the point is, that whenever he gets a deer in my woods which seems like about twice a season, he always comes round with packages of meat for my freezer. I eat it sometimes but it is hard to cook because it has almost no fat at all. Anyway, I have a bit of a backlog and am planning on stewing it up for the Princesses. I imagine they will take a finger or two of mine in their rush to gulp it down.
Do you cut the meat into chicken bite sized pieces?

Blueberries are a big hit here right now. Since access to free range is essentially gone here all winter, I try to supplement as much as possible with fresh fruits and vegetables. The girls devour them.

Not that they don't pig down in the summer as well. :p But it is different in the depth of the winter.

Lucy LOVES blueberries, she even found the blueberry bush I planted for her and Emily and stripped it before the Lorikeets came back! Charlie, however, will turn her beak up at a blueberry, she prefers strawberries.

On the discussion of meat, they all love it, the little predators! I don’t feed them chicken if anyone puts it in the chook scraps bucket, it just feels wrong. I’m sure they’d devour it thòugh! Greens they completely ignore, unless it’s a hanging iceberg lettuce. Then they absolutely shred that.

My work had left over steak stew sort of thing from a group lunch that had been left out all day and they were about to throw it away and I grabbed it all for my Princesses and cats. I can tell you chickens devour steak faster than cats! My conclusion from this experience is never to fall down in the chicken run because it wouldn't take them long to pick my bones clean!

I’ve said this too. :p

Back
Top Bottom