I posted on this a while back. I sat and watched my flock work together to try and kill and small rodent, mouse or chipmunk I cannot remember which. There was active communication between flock members and coordinated movements to try and herd the rodent to where they could attack it. I could actually hear the rodent scream as it realized it was being hunted.

On a certain level it was a disturbing site but I was also fascinated and frankly proud of them for the way they worked together to hunt. They were clearly coordinating and communicating with vocalizations I had not heard before. Each flock member would react every time one of them”spoke”.

Their strategy was sound as they used the fence line to help hem in their victim. Fortunately for the rodent, there was a spot where it was finally able to squeeze under the fence. Another foot and it was a goner, Lilly was in attack position ready to hit it. The others were actively herding it towards Lilly.
I'll have a look for your post. It's another of those things that has according to conventional wisdom, been bred out of the chicken if one accepts they had it in the first place.

I hope it’s ok that I’m crashing/joini g this thread. Tried to join a different one awhile back, but could not keep up.

Minnie (Buckeye pullet) laid her first egg today!View attachment 2009222
You may find this equally hard to keep up with. No worries. Post what you can when you can.
I'm certain no one will mind.

I would love to see that!

I have some photos but i was so taken aback i never thought to film it!
FOUND IT! This was my first flock of four. Only Bridge (Barred Rock) is still with us and is the current alpha. Rusty, the little dare devil New Hampshire Red, was at the bottom of the pecking order. Sadly, she came down with Egg Yolk Peritonitis shortly after this video was taken.

Back
Top Bottom