Just to give an idea @BY Bob
These are a couple of examples of wildlife lamps.
The first is a bird called a Corb here (Raven)
The second is a Picot Negre, (black woodpecker)

You are very talented Shad. Not only are they beautiful and accurate looking silhouettes, the way you do them is very clever. 😍

I’ve been a bit hesitant in sharing this, given that we are from all walks of life and at least a couple of generations, but in light of poor Malificent’s demise, I thought I would. I’m not suggesting anyone else go out and do the same, only that it was right for me.

I mentioned a while ago I got a book for Christmas on chickens and there was a lady in there who lost her previous girls to a fox. To commemorate them, she got a tattoo of five feathers on the inside of her upper arm. It was a beautiful tattoo and I thought it was a lovely way to remember them. I have never had tattoos, although all my younger siblings do. I have been going through some stuff recently (mentally) and felt the need to do something radically different (for me, anyway). I have kept some of Bessie’s feathers and went and found two Isa Brown ones. I went and got my own tattoo done, to commemorate Emily, Penny and Bessie. Now my dilemma is; do I get a feather for each of my girls when they pass (in which case I may end up with so many feathers I’ll be able to fly ;)), or do I just get a feather for each breed? Or are the three feathers enough for everyone? I suspect they might be.

This is my commemoration for my girls who flocked their way into my heart.

View attachment 2010898
They are beautiful Lozzy and so realistic. It's a sweet way to remember your girls. 😍
My youngest is getting a paw print tattoo behind their ear for their cat.

So, we were talking about the wonderful free range life the chickens and I live here.. As I mentioned Hinge took a goshawk hit.
If they make it back to the coop and eat, I wait until they are roosting to give them an examination. I mentioned to the main house that I could use a hand but they were off to dinner apparently. The track is now open and the three or four days they've had to spend here has all been too much for them.:rolleyes: Nobody to talk to and no one to impress makes this lot fray around the edges.
Notch is fine. He's just lost a few feathers. Well done him.
Hinge isn't so fine.
It's quite difficult to take pictures with one hand while holding a chickens wing up with the other with a point and squirt camera. The chickens don't like the flash etc etc.
This is a shot under one wing. All that white is bare skin and the red is of course blood.
View attachment 2010903
This is more of the same side.
View attachment 2010901
This is the other side under her wing.
View attachment 2010902
It looks as if she has two puncture wounds, one under each wing. A goshawk claw across her back sideways on could account for the wounds. She also has a small wound on her belly.
View attachment 2010900
Her feathers are matted with blood on both sides and a lot have been ripped out. Others feel out during cleaning.
She was very calm as I cleaned her up. I stand them on the kitchen table or on the floor and don't restrain them. If they flap away or panic I let them go and gently steer them back to where I want them.
Hinge is pretty feral. There is no way to catch her during the day.
She's back on a perch in the coop with her family which is a lot less stressful for the chicken than being shut in some strange container. I'm the one who deals with the stress overnight hoping she is still active in the morning.
Hinge and Notch got attacked by a Goshawk this evening.
Some really terrible pictures in the link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/byc-café.948525/page-6281#post-22143585

Oh dear. ☹

She's one tough little bird. I hope she recovers well.

Either way, she is in good hands with you Shad.

@RoyalChick its been hard today. First I went to check and see if I could learn more about the attack. I could find nothing. I mean nothing. Not a feather, not a drag mark, nothing. I have no idea where she was roosted and what it actually was that killed her.

This is making me lean more heavily towards a weasel.

To that end, I hauled my sick butt out and closed every potential gap that a weasel could squeeze though. I just now came back in. I need to get a trap, until then the ladies will be coop bound. No unsupervised run access until I have this figured out. This will be hard on them but I just can't chance it. I know if it is a weasel, it will be back every night until it has killed them all.

I have disconnected the automated door. They are "cooped" until I decide to let them out. I had to move the camera because of some of my modifications. Here is the new view.

View attachment 2011128

So scary and frustrating Bob.

I hope that weasel (or whatever it was) gets caught soon to give you some peace of mind. But please don't overdo it and make yourself sicker. 😵

Will you give us an update when you're ready Shad?
Ready!
Hinge came out with the rest of her tribe this morning. She ate breakfast and is currently under a bush next to Mag with the rest of her tribe.
Absolutely no signs of bullying and no more bleeding. She did lose a bit of blood so she'll get vitamin enriched treats for a few days.
I'm about to pick up some Amoxicillin from the chemist in case of an infection.
I'll give her another thorough check over tonight.

Back
Top Bottom