While we're all waiting with keen anticipation for news of Bob's integration and others' health issues, I had a minute and thought I might give you a bit of personal background. I grew up and have lived my entire life in a suburban setting. I've always felt like I would be happier in a rural setting (or at least a small town) with some space and some animals, so when a job opportunity arose a few years ago, we moved to a smaller town. I'm still in a sub-divided neighborhood, but there is a different feel about it, so I've made some progress. Last year, April 13, to be exact, we took the plunge and got 3 baby chick from the farm store. My wife's boss, who has about 30 chickens, told us we had to get these specific chicks from this specific store. So we came home with 3 hybrid production chicks. As we were leaving the store, the guy asked us if 3 was really all we wanted, what with chicken math and all. We wondered what the term "chicken math" even meant (almost a year later, I am quite aware of what it means... don't get me started :gig) We quickly got attached to them, and them to us.

View attachment 2032986

We named them after the 3 female characters from a television program we watched as kids, Gilligan's Island. That would be Maryanne, Ginger, and Mrs. Howell.

Knowing basically nothing about how to keep chickens, we bought a prefab coop, enclosed off an 8' by 10' run area under our backyard deck, and connected them with a short tunnel.

View attachment 2032991

Surprisingly, this setup has worked much better than anticipated. They only use the prefab to sleep, so it fits 3 just fine.

Anyway, that's probably enough for now. Suffice it to say that we still have them, and we are still enjoying the experience. Although I do have to say that I'm envious of all you with your green grass and large spaces. We are definitely true backyard chicken keepers and our yard is small. Here's what the backyard looks like right now. keep in mind that the picket fence it 3 feet tall.

View attachment 2033017

View attachment 2033018

Cheers to all!
I’m jealous! Is the chicken house under all that snow :eek:

While we're all waiting with keen anticipation for news of Bob's integration and others' health issues, I had a minute and thought I might give you a bit of personal background. I grew up and have lived my entire life in a suburban setting. I've always felt like I would be happier in a rural setting (or at least a small town) with some space and some animals, so when a job opportunity arose a few years ago, we moved to a smaller town. I'm still in a sub-divided neighborhood, but there is a different feel about it, so I've made some progress. Last year, April 13, to be exact, we took the plunge and got 3 baby chick from the farm store. My wife's boss, who has about 30 chickens, told us we had to get these specific chicks from this specific store. So we came home with 3 hybrid production chicks. As we were leaving the store, the guy asked us if 3 was really all we wanted, what with chicken math and all. We wondered what the term "chicken math" even meant (almost a year later, I am quite aware of what it means... don't get me started :gig) We quickly got attached to them, and them to us.

View attachment 2032986

We named them after the 3 female characters from a television program we watched as kids, Gilligan's Island. That would be Maryanne, Ginger, and Mrs. Howell.

Knowing basically nothing about how to keep chickens, we bought a prefab coop, enclosed off an 8' by 10' run area under our backyard deck, and connected them with a short tunnel.

View attachment 2032991

Surprisingly, this setup has worked much better than anticipated. They only use the prefab to sleep, so it fits 3 just fine.

Anyway, that's probably enough for now. Suffice it to say that we still have them, and we are still enjoying the experience. Although I do have to say that I'm envious of all you with your green grass and large spaces. We are definitely true backyard chicken keepers and our yard is small. Here's what the backyard looks like right now. keep in mind that the picket fence it 3 feet tall.

View attachment 2033017

View attachment 2033018

Cheers to all!
That balcony/walkway is very handy. Do you ever let them have full use of the yard?

That's Tap in the hole and that's Tyle her brother keeping an eye on her. She got in the hole on his suggestion. Doesn't look to bad in this pic. Good root cover overhead, not far from food and water and a decent view of incoming problems.
P2182544.JPG

Taking a step or two back you can see it's a death trap. She's going to be in full sun most of the day and for a passing hawk, easy to spot. The bank isn't stable and if it rains she'll be sitting in a puddle.

P2182546.JPG

Back
Top Bottom