While we're all waiting with keen anticipation for news of Bob's integration and others' health issues, I had a minute and thought I might give you a bit of personal background. I grew up and have lived my entire life in a suburban setting. I've always felt like I would be happier in a rural setting (or at least a small town) with some space and some animals, so when a job opportunity arose a few years ago, we moved to a smaller town. I'm still in a sub-divided neighborhood, but there is a different feel about it, so I've made some progress. Last year, April 13, to be exact, we took the plunge and got 3 baby chick from the farm store. My wife's boss, who has about 30 chickens, told us we had to get these specific chicks from this specific store. So we came home with 3 hybrid production chicks. As we were leaving the store, the guy asked us if 3 was really all we wanted, what with chicken math and all. We wondered what the term "chicken math" even meant (almost a year later, I am quite aware of what it means... don't get me started :gig) We quickly got attached to them, and them to us.

20190420_125641_HDR[1].jpg

We named them after the 3 female characters from a television program we watched as kids, Gilligan's Island. That would be Maryanne, Ginger, and Mrs. Howell.

Knowing basically nothing about how to keep chickens, we bought a prefab coop, enclosed off an 8' by 10' run area under our backyard deck, and connected them with a short tunnel.

20190527_160833[1].jpg

Surprisingly, this setup has worked much better than anticipated. They only use the prefab to sleep, so it fits 3 just fine.

Anyway, that's probably enough for now. Suffice it to say that we still have them, and we are still enjoying the experience. Although I do have to say that I'm envious of all you with your green grass and large spaces. We are definitely true backyard chicken keepers and our yard is small. Here's what the backyard looks like right now. keep in mind that the picket fence it 3 feet tall.

20200222_102620_HDR[1].jpg

20200222_102631_HDR[1].jpg

Cheers to all!

No reason to explore elsewhere
No disrespect intended, but the sight of Phyllis grooming has me giggling out loud. With her top-not she looks like she is giving herself the once over with a feather duster! :lau :lau
I am imagining her tut-tutting to herself about all the dust.

Do yall just ever leave them when you see something off..? I have found multiple times those soft/shell less eggs... never to find the owner and all seem fine... I have seen on a few occasions a very weak and sick looking chicken.. only to leave them be and then fine again... I also have seen the very pale comb and wattles.. and again all fine... do yall think that they just have off days like we do and work it out on their own..? Just wondering.. cuz I tend to not take any action... I guess unless, it would go on and on... I would do something then.. :confused:
I do. But, as you get to know your chickens (that's the first thing. A lot of people don't spend enough time with them to know when there's a problem) you get an idea of what falls in the normal range and what doesn't. Some hens will lay the occasional soft shelled egg and be fine afterwards. The shell goes on just before the egg gets painted so a check doesn't require more than an inch or so worth of finger when checking for egg binding. Egg binding doesn't occur further up the oviduct. The big problem with egg binding is eggs can back up behind the one that's stuck.
Senior hens laying soft shelled eggs pushes the alarm button for me.
I so think they can have a few off days just like us.

So there's hope, it would seem!
I would hold some value to your general avoidance of social media if I were you.:)
I post on these threads (we're sort of spread over three) because they are chicken based.
We do get the odd cat, or other animal appear from time to time.

Oh gosh. More New girls. WONDERFUL!

That's awesome. What kind?

Oh ma ga! I’m getting jealous of everyone’s new and almost birds! I may have to join the club :oops:... I am getting duck fever:p

Really! Who is moving in?

I’m looking to get three Faverolles; a couple is downsizing their breeding stock. Their ages are between 10 months and three years so I’d rather get the younger ones. One of them may be a Rumpless Buff, depending on how old she is. We’ve even got names picked out! So excited! I’ll have to make sure quarantine is ready to go.

I’m looking to get three Faverolles; a couple is downsizing their breeding stock. Their ages are between 10 months and three years so I’d rather get the younger ones. One of them may be a Rumpless Buff, depending on how old she is. We’ve even got names picked out! So excited! I’ll have to make sure quarantine is ready to go.
Favorelles are rather sweet. I hope you get what you want.

While we're all waiting with keen anticipation for news of Bob's integration and others' health issues, I had a minute and thought I might give you a bit of personal background. I grew up and have lived my entire life in a suburban setting. I've always felt like I would be happier in a rural setting (or at least a small town) with some space and some animals, so when a job opportunity arose a few years ago, we moved to a smaller town. I'm still in a sub-divided neighborhood, but there is a different feel about it, so I've made some progress. Last year, April 13, to be exact, we took the plunge and got 3 baby chick from the farm store. My wife's boss, who has about 30 chickens, told us we had to get these specific chicks from this specific store. So we came home with 3 hybrid production chicks. As we were leaving the store, the guy asked us if 3 was really all we wanted, what with chicken math and all. We wondered what the term "chicken math" even meant (almost a year later, I am quite aware of what it means... don't get me started :gig) We quickly got attached to them, and them to us.

View attachment 2032986

What a wonderful picture, gorgeous snuggle-babies! Do they still like a cuddle?

Back
Top Bottom