I admit it. I've been interfering a little in chicken politics.:oops:
Apart from me finding Treacle a good looking rooster, he also pulls his weight in the tribe and gets on with everybody. As long as no food or mating is involved he gets on well enoubh with Cillin to join in with tribe activities. Tyle his younger brother is now interested in the hens and is making random neck grabs. Mel Fudge and Moon either warn him off or fight him off. The others avoid him apart from Tap.
To look at the tribe, apart from Fat Bird, Treacle and Moon stand out in both looks and behavior.
Treacle needs at least one hen as company. They both come to the house on there own or together without the rest of the tribe. They come with the rest of the tribe as well.
Moon arrived, I didn't even notice until Treacle arrived shortly after. Moon is very quiet.
I was shelling walnuts outside and instead of giving a piece to both I just gave to Treacle who dropped more than half for Moon. This gives him credit in Moons estimation. The more credit Treacle gets the more likely Moon is to follow him.
View attachment 2033912

View attachment 2033913

Matchmaker, matchmaker........

Roost Adjustments

I have lowered the main roost from leghorn height to more Hattie friendly 16 inches and added the Phyllis roost at 26 inches. Here's hoping she likes it.

20200223_150108.jpg

Don't you keep any chickens now?
My chicken story, short version ...
A neighbor of mine had a coop in her backyard and asked me if I wanted to raise some chicks for it and then share the eggs. Well of course I did!! I picked up 8 chicks on hatch day at the local hatchery, raised them, put them in their coop when they got big enough and visited them daily to care for them. Long story short, just over a year later she decided that chickens no longer fit with her plans for the yard.:hit
I was fortunately able to rehome these healthy laying girls to a lovely local farm where they integrated easily with a pet flock there already. There is just not enough square footage for chickens where I live or I would have brought them to me. Pigeons on the other hand can make use of the very expansive roof top and the airspace above.

Here is a link to my chicken album.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/my-birds.7351948/ The first pic is Tina with her new 'feedbringer' LOL The second is the group getting used to their new surroundings. TBH it is really a better environment for them.

My chicken story, short version ...
A neighbor of mine had a coop in her backyard and asked me if I wanted to raise some chicks for it and then share the eggs. Well of course I did!! I picked up 8 chicks on hatch day at the local hatchery, raised them, put them in their coop when they got big enough and visited them daily to care for them. Long story short, just over a year later she decided that chickens no longer fit with her plans for the yard.:hit
I was fortunately able to rehome these healthy laying girls to a lovely local farm where they integrated easily with a pet flock there already. There is just not enough square footage for chickens where I live or I would have brought them to me. Pigeons on the other hand can make use of the very expansive roof top and the airspace above.

Here is a link to my chicken album.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/my-birds.7351948/The first pic is Tina with her new 'feedbringer' LOL The second is the group getting used to their new surroundings. TBH it is really a better environment for them.
And now you keep pigeons?
What sort do you keep?

Roost Adjustments

I have lowered the main roost from leghorn height to more Hattie friendly 16 inches and added the Phyllis roost at 26 inches. Here's hoping she likes it.

View attachment 2033947
Looking good Bob. You are a very thoughtful and considerate ChookDad.

I can’t see the coop camera. Will you have to reposition it to cover all the perches now?

Back
Top Bottom