Sunny Sunday

the new girls are enjoying their section of the yard with little interaction with the Bigs.

Aurora has come by twice now and the Newbies are giving her a wide berth. I think Aurora is really enjoying watching them scurry away.

There have been two pecking incidents so far. One Sansa and Phyllis squared off when Phyllis did not immediately back down, no damage done. The other involved Aurora surprising Phyllis at the water dish. There was a brief chase with Aurora grabbing Phyllis' tail feather briefly, but again, no damage done.

Lilly has come by but not really engaged them. Hattie hasn't bothered to even come by.

I think they may be Aurora's responsibility at this point.
Looking good so far! Sorry I’m not up to speed on this, but I forget... is Aurora your current alpha? Was your recent loss the prior alpha?

Ester is egg songing back here, in the poison oak forest I am super allergic to. Awesome. See her in the middle of the photo?
F662EB35-6F8D-4F54-979E-2DF301861E10.jpeg

This was me on poison oak two years ago:

76E74425-36CE-4F3A-968A-A7699993F942.jpeg

Looking good so far! Sorry I’m not up to speed on this, but I forget... is Aurora your current alpha? Was your recent loss the prior alpha?
LoL! Quite the oopposite Aurora was the bottom hen, the Alpha is Lilly, and Hattie is the second. My thought I the are letting Aurora do the dirty work to show the newbies exactly where they stand in the scheme of things At Fluffy Butt Acres!

And Ouch, stay away from the poison oak! Naughty chicken trying to lure you in!

LoL! Quite the oopposite Aurora was the bottom hen, the Alpha is Lilly, and Hattie is the second. My thought I the are letting Aurora do the dirty work to show the newbies exactly where they stand in the scheme of things At Fluffy Butt Acres!

Oh, that makes sense! It seems the lower ranked ones tend to be hardest on the newbies. I’ve only been through this twice, but I think I see a trend. (Maybe not statistically possible, but anecdotally, at least!)

Aurora is currently 3 out of 3. She was #4. I lost my number 3. Lilly is currently Alpha.

View attachment 1633786

I have been wanting to do this for some time now. I knew once I started doing this there would be no going back. So I am now diving in and I hope you all enjoy coming along for the ride.

First of all let me tell you how we view our flock as that will help you to understand why we treat them like we do.

Our birds are our pets and we treat them as such. We do not care if someone is not laying eggs. They are welcome to stay at Fluffy Butt Acres until they pass naturally. (Now don't go telling them that! I would hate for word to get out) We do thoroughly enjoy the fresh eggs.

I plan to tell stories from the past as well as from today. I hope you all enjoy and will share stories of your flocks as well.
I love the name and I love that you treat your girls as pets! I treat my ducks the same!

Thanks Kris. That is my thought too. Aurora was a vicious pullet and was originally 3rd in the order. Quite mean to Maleficent who was 4th. Maleficent moved up when she started laying before Aurora.

I think Aurora is ruthless enough to stay 3rd. She just walked into their house and scattered them.

Thanks Kris. That is my thought too. Aurora was a vicious pullet and was originally 3rd in the order. Quite mean to Maleficent who was 4th. Maleficent moved up when she started laying before Aurora.

I think Aurora is ruthless enough to stay 3rd. She just walked into their house and scattered them.
Maleficent! Of course!

Back
Top Bottom