How's Dorothy today?
Hi, Shad. Thanks for asking. So far, she seems mostly ok. She took her calcium (forced), I have seen her eat, she followed me around a little doing her usual friendly chatter, and I have seen her preen a fair bit. I can see her from the kitchen window and sheā€™s currently on an outdoor roost with her tail down, but so is Ester, right beside her. (not a great photo)

image.jpg

I think all things considered that integration went well... no polar bear dip for Phyllis was a huge relief! You said ā€œpoolā€ and my first thought was minus what Celsius???

It was Sydney headed for the pool. Phyllis is a great flyer and I have no doubt she could clear it easy. With skin of ice on top I would put the water at 0Ā°C.

Who are you calling opinionated?:p:lau
Truth is I shouldn't have got involved in that one. We all make judgments, it's just not a thing to acknowledge in some cultures.
You were fine. As always, I appreciate your opinion. And I decided NOT to administer antibiotics, at least not at this time.

I Believe I am going to have to Deal with the Skunks

The smaller skunk returned on Friday night and again last night. It is Friday's developments that concern me so.

Watch as the skunk crosses to the fence line. I have done a blow-up of it when it reaches the fence line add it's tail pops up. I thought this very odd when I first saw the video.

View attachment 2033623

This is what the skunk was doing.

View attachment 2033624
View attachment 2033625

It returned Saturday night and explored the other side of the run without digging.

What to do? I do not like this at all.
Oh oh. I donā€™t like it, either. I forget... is there a HC skirt under those pavers?

It was Sydney headed for the pool. Phyllis is a great flyer and I have no doubt she could clear it easy. With skin of ice on top I would put the water at 0Ā°C.
:barnie I re-read your post... it was Sydney being in the foreground that confused me! Your barred rock GAINED altitude??? Partway through her descent? That is crazy, she must have been channeling her inner leghorn, and Daisy was clearly looking out for her!

Sunny Sunday

the new girls are enjoying their section of the yard with little interaction with the Bigs.

Aurora has come by twice now and the Newbies are giving her a wide berth. I think Aurora is really enjoying watching them scurry away.

There have been two pecking incidents so far. One Sansa and Phyllis squared off when Phyllis did not immediately back down, no damage done. The other involved Aurora surprising Phyllis at the water dish. There was a brief chase with Aurora grabbing Phyllis' tail feather briefly, but again, no damage done.

Lilly has come by but not really engaged them. Hattie hasn't bothered to even come by.

I think they may be Aurora's responsibility at this point.

:barnie I re-read your post... it was Sydney being in the foreground that confused me! Your barred rock GAINED altitude??? Partway through her descent? That is crazy, she must have been channeling her inner leghorn, and Daisy was clearly looking out for her!

Yes it was absolutely improbable, yet it did happen. :confused: I'm assigning it to the fact that she is still a pullet. Nothing else makes sense.

No but the ground is frozen. There will be in the spring. I think I am going to have it trapped and removed.

Good idea... I have a friend in pest control in my area, and really trapping skunks isnā€™t that hard or dangerous. The pros really know what they are doing. Some jobs you really want to hire out! I know it seems like overkill but you could do some digging (just down to where it becomes obnoxiously difficult), and set the hardware cloth skirt in a little concrete at the base of the trench... just to be extra certain. If you can hire the digging out too, maybe not to professionals, but some cheap teenage labor if you can find it?

Edit to add quote. Hah, I figured it out! :tongue New-fangled updated program :tongue I insert the quote in new a comment, select and copy it, delete quote, edit post with missing quote and paste the sucker in!

Back
Top Bottom