Little brat. I assumed it would be the littles. Silly me.

I did check the brush pile. I even pushed around it with my foot to try and flush her out if she was in there. Nary a sound did she make. She has to have a nest in there, otherwise the mealy worms should have brought her.
She's a cheeky monkey!

I Believe I am going to have to Deal with the Skunks

The smaller skunk returned on Friday night and again last night. It is Friday's developments that concern me so.

Watch as the skunk crosses to the fence line. I have done a blow-up of it when it reaches the fence line add it's tail pops up. I thought this very odd when I first saw the video.

View attachment 2033623

This is what the skunk was doing.

View attachment 2033624
View attachment 2033625

It returned Saturday night and explored the other side of the run without digging.

What to do? I do not like this at all.
Let me float this one.. I heard you can put red pepper in a bird feeder to keep squirrels out because the pepper bothers them but not the birds. It might work here as too. Do your cats stay indoors ?? That would be my only worry (I can't remember who has cats and who doesn't) if you (or others reading this) had other pets that went outside

Good idea... I have a friend in pest control in my area, and really trapping skunks isn’t that hard or dangerous. The pros really know what they are doing. Some jobs you really want to hire out! I know it seems like overkill but you could do some digging (just down to where it becomes obnoxiously difficult), and set the hardware cloth skirt in a little concrete at the base of the trench... just to be extra certain. If you can hire the digging out too, maybe not to professionals, but some cheap teenage labor if you can find it?

Edit to add quote. Hah, I figured it out! :tongue New-fangled updated program :tongue I insert the quote in new a comment, select and copy it, delete quote, edit post with missing quote and paste the sucker in!
Catching them is easy. Releasing them or removing the trap with them in it is the hard part LOL !!!

Speaking of good genetics........
This week is Fat Birds birthday. She's ten years old this week but I don't know the day.
Also unknown is whether she was one of the three from imported eggs from the breeder in Marans, or from the pair brought over from France.
Fat Bird comes from the area Marans in France whichever of the above is correct. She is a proper Marans. Unfortunately her men died from what I believe was the excess of calcium originally fed to them as layers feed when I got here. Calcium can be the silent killer in males.
I will be posting pictures. You wouldn't expect anything less now would you.
Can’t wait!

Oh dear. This guy spent over 10 minutes exploring ways to break into the Chicken Palace. I think I really am going to try and rig up an electric wire. I am a bit scared because it seems like there are a lot of things to decide and figure out - but reviews on BYC make it sound doable.
Yikes!

Happy b’week Fat Bird!

As to the excesss calcium and male fatalities
:fl:oops::fl

I’ve been feeding layer to everyone, the shells were just too feigile even giving OS on the side and mixing 50/50 layer and all flock. This is one of those scary bits for me!

We should all be so lucky to have “
Also unknown is whether she was one of the three from imported eggs from the breeder in Marans, or from the pair brought over from France.
Fat Bird comes from the area Marans in France whichever of the above is correct.” available, if only it wasn’t for that pesky ocean and all...
Happy birthday, Fat Bird!

Back
Top Bottom