Cashew is a growler. But I think she kicked it into another. gear when she went broody. Any sign of broodiness?
None at all. I was actually questioning Lilly being broody as much time as she had spent in the coop but she has not spent a minute in the coop today.

Actually, I think it may have been a trapdoor spider. Regardless, it was WAY bigger tgan the biggest garden spider we get and Dorothy thought it made an excellent snack. I think there is another one living in the vicinity of the mini red coop.

Not for much longer, if the word gets out! ;)

As you can see, the keeping Tap on the floor is going well.:he
P4033034.JPG

So we have a rain storm coming. I was delighted to learn this morning that the storm is delayed, and I let the chickens out. After a couple hours, I called them back in with sunflower seeds. Since I have a fat problem in my flock, this is a rare occurance these days.

So 9 of my 10 are safe back in the run. All except Ester, who is one of the pullets. She is the wildest chicken I’ve ever had by far, and the most flighty. At the slightest unfamiliarity, she FREAKS out. For example, I was worried she injured herself the other day when the plastic baggy I used to bring egg shells out blew off a shelf and she acted like it was an impending hawk strike. So Ester’s out in the unfenced, unprotected yard by herself. If I try to catch her, she retreats. It’s impossible; I cannot catch her. And I’m not letting the flock back out, as their treat quota for rounding them up has already been met. Thoughts? Advice? We’re over eight hours from dark, when she’ll naturally want to cone home and still a couple hours from rain. Maybe when it gets closer to rain time, I’ll let them all back out and hope they go in on their own when the storm arrives?
Ester back yet? :fl

They will seek shelter when it rains but it may not be the run and coop. What is her all time favourite food? Maybe you can lure her into someplace confined where you can catch her.
We has some heavy rainfall yesterday and I left the chickens out in it to fend for themselves. When they needed to, both young and old ran for shelter under the old table I put in the run, alongside the little coop. I've found them to be very sensible about rain and besides, it brings bugs and worms to the surface! Janet unearthed a big worm between storms, and I daresay plenty more when I wasn't watching.

Back
Top Bottom