This is very interesting. Now I want to build a Hobbit hole for my girls.

How do you find your house for temperature regulation Shad?
It's great in the winter. I made a miscalculation on thermal gain in the summer and it's fine up to 35C. After that it doesn't lose enough heat once the sun is directly above. It would be fairly simple to sort out with shutters, or blinds. The house windows receive direct sunlight in the morning and because the house is so well insulated by midday it's got a bit warmer than I might like. It is still far better than most modern houses but some of the huge old farmhouses stay below 20C when it's 35C outside.

Not as funny as drunken parrots but you just triggered a memory. We had a tree in the house where I grew up that made the bees drunk. They would lie on their backs in the grass kicking their legs and buzzing feebly. If you gently moved them out from under the tree they would slowly come to and stagger about and eventually fly off just fine. I remember it being a lime tree but that can't be right because I don't remember any limes!
There is a butterfly here that gets drunk on fermenting figs on the trees. They descend on the trees in hordes, get pissed and start fighting.:rolleyes::lau

Special Thanks are in Order

I have acquired 3 fertile eggs from one of our own. @CrazyChookChookLady has agreed to provide me with the eggs following through on her offer from when Maleficent was broody. She has even generously offered to come to my house tonight and help me move Sydney onto the new eggs in the old coop tonight. I am so grateful.

I am so grateful for the help. More pictures to come tonight.

I am currently constructing the coop in the run. That is turning into a story all its own. 😃
That's great Bob. You'll be in good hands.

So excited for you! Another learning curve & more to love about chickens! 😍
Yet another journey. If it couldn't be Maleficent, I'm very glad its Sydney. I believe that she will be a good Mom. I don't know why, I just have a feeling. 😊

Back
Top Bottom