Say Goodbye to Easy Worms

Today was the final day for them to have access to the garden. They took good advantage to the final visit.
20200530_131234.jpg

I am relatively sure that we are done with snow for the year, :fl So the garden is finally planted.
20200530_194956.jpg

No more chicken access. šŸ” šŸ˜ž

IFLC Agreement
I have reached a negotiated settlement with the IFLC and today they were back at work in the vegetable garden - thank goodness as there is a lot of weeding to get on with!
The terms of the agreement include that I transport them to the work site, and at the end of the day let them walk back in their own time so they can stop for snacks.
Transportation to the worksite is a bit of a pain. I carried Maggie on one trip and then returned with Elizabeth and Diana (one under each arm). I take this as further proof that the IFLC has been in contact with the hens that live with @Shadrach - clearly Fat Bird is the IFLC union rep.
I wonder if tomorrow I should put all three of them in the wheelbarrow (sort of a school bus for hens). I don't see why not really.
Separately, does anyone else think Maggie looks a bit moth-eaten? Could she be molting just as we go into summer? I can't decide if her comb is pale. She seems just as feisty and energetic as normal. Maybe she is just losing some down insulation (which would make sense as the temperatures are now up in the 80s).
2048C315-37E6-4C22-9015-4561681C371F.jpeg

Today was the final day for them to have access to the garden. They took good advantage to the final visit.
View attachment 2169221

I am relatively sure that we are done with snow for the year, :fl So the garden is finally planted.
View attachment 2169227

I am impressed! Clever way of keeping them out while you are growing.

I mightn't see it, but I'm pretty sure I would hear any ruckus. I usually hear any scuffles that go on because the hen house isn't that far from my living room & we keep all the windows open in summer, when my lot tend to go broody. Of course I still might have missed it but given how often I have a broody surely I'd have seen something @ least once...?. I am only going by my observations. My regular broodies are big girls & high ranking. No~one messes with them but they seem to have set the standard; Broodies get left alone. Their status may shift when they rejoin the flock but a sitter is left to get on with it.

My 1st broody, when I had no idea what I was dealing with, was really aggressive but I refused to be intimidated by her & not only has she never been aggressive with me again, none of the other hens have either. I can remove eggs & shift a sitter with no more than a lot of squawking. No pecking. No wing attacks. I am fascinated that others have different experiences. I find broodys frustrating because I can't let them sit, but I don't see really aggressive behaviour, just the fluffing & squawking & doing everything @ zoom speed. Otherwise they are pretty chill. The hardest part for me has been getting them out of their trance long enough to eat, drink & dust bath.
This is just how mine are... they never try to go at me in anyway... I can do whatever and itā€™s fine... take eggs from under them.. remove them from the nest.. and even give them scratches while sitting... all fine.. just a lot of clucking/broody noises... and puffing up of course :lol:

I wonder if tomorrow I should put all three of them in the wheelbarrow (sort of a school bus for hens). I don't see why not really.
I can give you 1 reason, I doubt they will stay in it. They will just fly out when you start rolling. I just don't see it working. I must have video if it does work!

Could she be molting just as we go into summer? I
As you don't know her hatch date it is quite possible that she could be molting. My understand is that it is not necessarily season related.

IFLC Agreement
I have reached a negotiated settlement with the IFLC and today they were back at work in the vegetable garden - thank goodness as there is a lot of weeding to get on with!
The terms of the agreement include that I transport them to the work site, and at the end of the day let them walk back in their own time so they can stop for snacks.
Transportation to the worksite is a bit of a pain. I carried Maggie on one trip and then returned with Elizabeth and Diana (one under each arm). I take this as further proof that the IFLC has been in contact with the hens that live with @Shadrach - clearly Fat Bird is the IFLC union rep.
Separately, does anyone else think Maggie looks a bit moth-eaten? Could she be molting just as we go into summer? I can't decide if her comb is pale. She seems just as feisty and energetic as normal. Maybe she is just losing some down insulation (which would make sense as the temperatures are now up in the 80s).View attachment 2169255
I'm glad you were able reach a settlement as they are really good workers and seem to enjoy the work! šŸ˜ƒ

I like any opportunity to hold my ladies so I would gladly agree to transport them! I think you won that negotiation. šŸ˜„

I can give you 1 reason, I doubt they will stay in it. They will just fly out when you start rolling. I just don't see it working. I must have video if it does work!
As you don't know her hatch date it is quite possible that she could be molting. My understand is that it is not necessarily season related.

Oh thank you for that understanding. I thought molting was triggered by shorter days and/or colder temperatures, but if that is not the case then indeed you are right I have no idea. I hope it isn't heavy like Alice, that would upset me as you all know.
You may be right on the wheelbarrow idea - I might give it a go anyway, though you are right it is fun being the chicken carrier of choice.

A Party Without Me

While I was slaving away at my desk yesterday apparently Mrs BY Bob was having an invitation only party in the rest of the house. There was only 1 invitee apparently.

Phyllis

She has achieved what both Maleficent and Aurora never could, full access to the big coop.

I got this text while working.

View attachment 2167786

Apparently their were snacks, movies (apparently Phyllis is a Star Trek fan), and good conversation.

And I was not invited! šŸ˜„

It is clear that I have lost all control of the situation. She is back in the big coop this morning! šŸ˜²

You better watch out, next she'll be making a nest out of Davis and laying her egg there!! šŸ¤£šŸ˜³šŸ¤£

View attachment 2169221

View attachment 2169227

Do they not hop that fence? That wouldn't keep my girls out for a minute!

Back
Top Bottom