I am pretty sad about it and not sure how I will transport him. I have a good size box and only have to go 6 miles.
I am also concerned with how the others will do with him gone. I watch them at dusk and he is always the one up in the coop last after making sure the rest have gone up. Time will tell.
Update on re-homing the Rooster we re named George. I was actually very pleased with how smoothly it when. Once I picked him up and calmed him down getting him into the box was not a problem.
I was very happy that the lady where I took him already had someone requesting a rooster his color. I was a little sad I canā€™t lie. He is a beautiful boy.

Attachments

• 99291E9F-92CB-46C4-894C-301F7A08CB44.jpeg
    99291E9F-92CB-46C4-894C-301F7A08CB44.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Update on re-homing the Rooster we re named George. I was actually very pleased with how smoothly it when. Once I picked him up and calmed him down getting him into the box was not a problem.
I was very happy that the lady where I took him already had someone requesting a rooster his color. I was a little sad I canā€™t lie. He is a beautiful boy.
I'm glad it went well for you. I'm sure he will be very happy in his new home. :hugs :hugs

OMG, I think Lucy laid an egg!! :eek: I was cleaning out the coops just now and there was an egg in there! It was long and thin and broke as soon as I picked it up, the shell was super fragile. Riverā€™s comb has got redder but I think it was Lucy; I wondered where she was earlier today and I saw her in the run so Iā€™m thinking she laid it. I really donā€™t want her to lay any more, I donā€™t want to lose her to EYP too!

It's early. very hot 79f and I can't sleep. So I want to talk chicken! This heat is really bothering my birds here. I keep them shaded and plenty of fresh, cool water, but I can tell by the way they act, that they are not comfortable. I love them so much, (as I do, my own children) Today I will go into town and buy two watermelons and cool them down (if I can make room in the fridge) My flock loves melons! honeydew, watermelon, and others. I'm even thinking to get some blueberries. Chill them and serve to my feathered friends too! I cannot believe how wonderful my three roosters are behaving lately. (I could learn a thing or two about being cordial) as they have been. No fighting, no pecking, only Jaffar gets loud sometimes, but that's ok with me. (I think he's practicing his crowing) He normally does this "cock-a doodle..... nothing, stops mid stream. It's hilarious. Wow how I love than new roo! But I never discount BEN or BLU either, these birds are my family now! All "my" children are scattered around the world, all grown up. For now I won't go into detail Thank's friends, for reading my post.

It's early. very hot 79f and I can't sleep. So I want to talk chicken! This heat is really bothering my birds here. I keep them shaded and plenty of fresh, cool water, but I can tell by the way they act, that they are not comfortable. I love them so much, (as I do, my own children) Today I will go into town and buy two watermelons and cool them down (if I can make room in the fridge) My flock loves melons! honeydew, watermelon, and others. I'm even thinking to get some blueberries. Chill them and serve to my feathered friends too! I cannot believe how wonderful my three roosters are behaving lately. (I could learn a thing or two about being cordial) as they have been. No fighting, no pecking, only Jaffar gets loud sometimes, but that's ok with me. (I think he's practicing his crowing) He normally does this "cock-a doodle..... nothing, stops mid stream. It's hilarious. Wow how I love than new roo! But I never discount BEN or BLU either, these birds are my family now! All "my" children are scattered around the world, all grown up. For now I won't go into detail Thank's friends, for reading my post.
I hear you on the heat - it has been brutal here and they do not like it one little bit. I have been freezing blueberries (by the way they freeze well for human consumption too) and giving those as treats - they seem to be much appreciated and I hope it helps cool them down a little.
It is a bit cooler this morning after the storm (Tropical Storm Fay) passed through yesterday and overnight. But it has left a trail of destruction in its wake - this missed the coop by inches (well it actually seems to have landed on one of the pasture runs).
53166F8C-3233-4B9D-BFBB-61767FD1EF0F.jpeg

Fortunately everyone is safe inside and the coop-cam confirms they (mostly) slept through the night. The mostly is that I seem to have a night-walker and it has me worried about the design of my ladder up to the roost. More on that later when I have investigated more.

I have seen people freeze fruits in a block of ice and give it to chickens to cool them down. They peck the ice to get at the fruit. You might want to try that as well. I think I'm going to do it this week to try and cool mine down.

I hear you on the heat - it has been brutal here and they do not like it one little bit. I have been freezing blueberries (by the way they freeze well for human consumption too) and giving those as treats - they seem to be much appreciated and I hope it helps cool them down a little.
It is a bit cooler this morning after the storm (Tropical Storm Fay) passed through yesterday and overnight. But it has left a trail of destruction in its wake - this missed the coop by inches (well it actually seems to have landed on one of the pasture runs).
View attachment 2238109
Fortunately everyone is safe inside and the coop-cam confirms they (mostly) slept through the night. The mostly is that I seem to have a night-walker and it has me worried about the design of my ladder up to the roost. More on that later when I have investigated more.
We were very lucky here as we were just on the outskirts of the storm all day. I'm glad nothing was damaged.

Hattie has been known to be a night-walker. She has been sleeping on the floor since it got hot. I guess it must be cooler down there.

Broody Cam_20200703_232234.jpg

Back
Top Bottom