Come in Out of the Rain

We are getting a nice easy light rain today. Hattie found a great spot to stay dry. Smart girl. :thumbsup
20200710_164525.jpg

Last edited:
I've just had Lock in for a bit so I could have a very good look at her legs. Lock is the hen that doesn't lay eggs and has rooster thickness legs which have odd growths on them.
I noticed earlier tonight that she had two raw looking patches at the hock joint and some scales were raised again.
These growths are where one would expect a roosters spurs to be. But, a roosters spurs usually grow at an angle, pointing more towards the other leg than straight backwards as do the growths on Lock's legs. The growths feel quite solid and had no signs of irritation. They don't seem to give any pain when gently squeezed.:confused:
I can't see why she has these sore patches. It took about half an hour to give her a thorough check. I sprayed permethrin under the raised scales hoping for some quick mite kills. I also did under her wings and the back of her neck while I was at it. She smells a bit now.:)
I cleaned up the sore patches with cotton wool and betadine and let the betadine dry off a bit.
I used coconut oil to smother her legs in this time. I'll be doing it again tomorrow, and over the weekend each night so coconut oil is easier to clean off each time than Vaseline.
She feels a good weight. She's small but quite stocky. Feathers are good, nostrils and ears clear and inside her beak looks healthy.
She was very well behaved. Normally I do the routine stuff on the roof of the coop using a head torch so this was her first in house visit.

I've just had Lock in for a bit so I could have a very good look at her legs. Lock is the hen that doesn't lay eggs and has rooster thickness legs which have odd growths on them.
I noticed earlier tonight that she had two raw looking patches at the hock joint and some scales were raised again.
These growths are where one would expect a roosters spurs to be. But, a roosters spurs usually grow at an angle, pointing more towards the other leg than straight backwards as do the growths on Lock's legs. The growths feel quite solid and had no signs of irritation. They don't seem to give any pain when gently squeezed.:confused:
I can't see why she has these sore patches. It took about half an hour to give her a thorough check. I sprayed permethrin under the raised scales hoping for some quick mite kills. I also did under her wings and the back of her neck while I was at it. She smells a bit now.:)
I cleaned up the sore patches with cotton wool and betadine and let the betadine dry off a bit.
I used coconut oil to smother her legs in this time. I'll be doing it again tomorrow, and over the weekend each night so coconut oil is easier to clean off each time than Vaseline.
She feels a good weight. She's small but quite stocky. Feathers are good, nostrils and ears clear and inside her beak looks healthy.
She was very well behaved. Normally I do the routine stuff on the roof of the coop using a head torch so this was her first in house visit.
Patsy's spurs grew straight back. Maybe hen spurs do not grow like rooster spurs? :confused:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ribhs-dcoopage.1295189/post-21525049

If you look close the spur alligns with her back toe. It looks curved at first glance but it isn't.

Success for me, except when I have to bend down and collect it. It is way back there now!
Whenever I have to get eggs from a tricky spot, I use an old soup ladle that I taped a long arm onto. It's a little easier. Try using a ladle without the arm first.

Back
Top Bottom