Galvanised anything? Pretty sure the treadle-feeder is galvanised. :(
Well, I won't use galvanized anything. When such things are new they are pretty safe. But, the galv does chip off and does leach into the water. or any damp substance.

Rather than being alarmist think more of the recommendation that one no longer uses aluminum cook ware.
It's just if there is an alternative then that's what I would go for.

Hmmm. I was already worrying that the Princesses aren’t drinking enough. And now I am worrying that their poop isn’t runny. Honestly these Princesses just have me worrying all the time!
They know what to do. It water is available, they will drink it.

So the girls are having a sleepover in the garage tonight. It’s been blowing a gale all day and bucketed down pretty much all day too. Their bedding is all wet again as they’ve soaked it, plus water has got into the pre-fabs because they’re, you know, cheap. :rantSo I broke out the dog crates, put Teff hay in there, dusted them down and put them in the garage (which is dry and wind-proof). I went and got the girls one by one (they were saturated!) I toweled them all down as best I could (I couldn’t access a powerpoint to blow-dry them), popped Lucy and Charlie in thè smaller crate and the Faverolles in the bigger one. I gave them some food and said goodnight to them. I don’t want them catching pneumonia!
I would do the same. It won't do to have them living in water. They are not ducks. Good plan.

Just too much drama for one day
There has been a lot happening.
First of all there was an upset in the Chicken Palace.
In the evening there is a way of doing things at the Palace that everyone agrees to. First the big ladies walk up the ladder, along the branch and settle at the end looking out of the window. The order in which they go to bed varies, but it is always orderly and determined by who decides to go up to bed first. They have given up getting past each other to the prime spot at the end, so once they are heading up the ladder their position on the big branch is set for the night.
Then, once they are settled in, the little ones dare to fly up to the branch and launch themselves to the top of the window and roost there.
Peace and harmony.
Imagine the consternation all around when this orderly process was met with this situation.

878E6426-6C27-40F7-9BCA-1B375F2E1DAD.jpeg

I just happened to be there working on a bit of the coop. Everyone (including me) froze. Total shock. The proper order of things has been turned on its head! Palace protocol has been broken. Civilization may come to and end.
This is how it played out.
The rising panic you can hear from the babies peeping cracks me up. In the end, justice was delivered swiftly but with mercy. Order was restored and half an hour later the babies were in bed at the top of the window as is right and proper (and for me a pain because they poop on the window sill).
Meanwhile, my own drama was playing out. The noise you hear in the background is my little generator that keeps essentials going during a black out and at this point I was into the 5th day without power.
The electric company came and sealed off my drive with electric hazard tape and then left, with me incarcerated in my home. After multiple calls to the electric company's phone-answering robot I called our local police station to ask if they had any advice (I thought maybe they would have a way of getting a live person at the electric company). God bless the officer I spoke to because he got really upset that I had been sealed in and while on patrol he stopped one of the electric crews and insisted they prioritize releasing me safely.
The crew came and showed me how the downed wire had retained its charge and punched a big whole in the ground and turned the surrounding soil into glass. Very cool but very scary!

Just too much drama for one day
There has been a lot happening.
First of all there was an upset in the Chicken Palace.
In the evening there is a way of doing things at the Palace that everyone agrees to. First the big ladies walk up the ladder, along the branch and settle at the end looking out of the window. The order in which they go to bed varies, but it is always orderly and determined by who decides to go up to bed first. They have given up getting past each other to the prime spot at the end, so once they are heading up the ladder their position on the big branch is set for the night.
Then, once they are settled in, the little ones dare to fly up to the branch and launch themselves to the top of the window and roost there.
Peace and harmony.
Imagine the consternation all around when this orderly process was met with this situation.

View attachment 2283391

I just happened to be there working on a bit of the coop. Everyone (including me) froze. Total shock. The proper order of things has been turned on its head! Palace protocol has been broken. Civilization may come to and end.
This is how it played out.
The rising panic you can hear from the babies peeping cracks me up. In the end, justice was delivered swiftly but with mercy. Order was restored and half an hour later the babies were in bed at the top of the window as is right and proper (and for me a pain because they poop on the window sill).
Meanwhile, my own drama was playing out. The noise you hear in the background is my little generator that keeps essentials going during a black out and at this point I was into the 5th day without power.
The electric company came and sealed off my drive with electric hazard tape and then left, with me incarcerated in my home. After multiple calls to the electric company's phone-answering robot I called our local police station to ask if they had any advice (I thought maybe they would have a way of getting a live person at the electric company). God bless the officer I spoke to because he got really upset that I had been sealed in and while on patrol he stopped one of the electric crews and insisted they prioritize releasing me safely.
The crew came and showed me how the downed wire had retained its charge and punched a big whole in the ground and turned the surrounding soil into glass. Very cool but very scary!
You wanted them off of the window. :confused: They will eventually wind up on the roost, they just need to come up last. They will learn.

I feel like I would love to see a photo of the "glass" once it is safe. I'm so glad you have a generator. I do not and I cannot imagine that period of time without power.

Most importantly, stay safe.

Sydney did a good job

You all saw the video where Sydney taught the chicks, as soon as they could fly, to go up, to roost and use height to their protection. She taught them so well they are using it all the time. Including someplace I really don't want them, the table!

20200808_194500_002.jpg
20200808_194522.jpg
20200808_194538.jpg
20200808_194610.jpg
20200808_194638.jpg
20200808_194644.jpg
20200808_194621.jpg

You wanted them off of the window. :confused: They will eventually wind up on the roost, they just need to come up last. They will learn.
I feel like I would love to see a photo of the "glass" once it is safe. I'm so glad you have a generator. I do not and I cannot imagine that period of time without power.
Most importantly, stay safe.

It is true I want them off the window. I thought they might be smart enough to go to the big roost after the Princesses had chosen their positions!
It is all safe now so I will get some pictures. I believe it really is glass not 'glass' - I think that is how glass is made by applying great heat to silicon dioxide (silica) which is a main component of sand, and although my soil is mostly clay I am sure it has silica in it.
Anyway, pictures of glass to follow later in the day.

Back
Top Bottom