Yes! It's a legit thing! I heard an expert talk about it on a podcast a few years ago. I'm not sure if it's ongoing, but because there's no ccd in Australia, our bees were thriving and being shipped all over.

Edit: this news story is from 2018.

So if a bee says, "Mate, watch out for those drop bears and come over here n sink a few tinnies!" you'll know where he's from :D
I'll bee talking to them for sure. 🐝

Hattie the Pancake

I was cleaning out a flower box yesterday and hosed down the dirt. Hattie thought it was a great place to cool off.
20200809_180147.jpg
20200809_180128.jpg
20200809_180054.jpg

Things that go bump in the night
It is scary out there in the dark!
I had just gone to bed and checked in on the Palace-cam (mainly because I find seeing them all settled on their big branch very soothing). Imagine my horror when I saw this:
Naturally I leapt out of bed and rushed (rather bravely I feel!) over to the Palace.
What is it? Any ideas anyone?!
And yes, I have been talking about it for months, but now I really, really must research getting an electric wire (I keep being put off as I fear it might be too complicated).

Things that go bump in the night
It is scary out there in the dark!
I had just gone to bed and checked in on the Palace-cam (mainly because I find seeing them all settled on their big branch very soothing). Imagine my horror when I saw this:
Naturally I leapt out of bed and rushed (rather bravely I feel!) over to the Palace.
What is it? Any ideas anyone?!
And yes, I have been talking about it for months, but now I really, really must research getting an electric wire (I keep being put off as I fear it might be too complicated).
That kind of looks like an opossum. Where do you live? Fox and bears and now opossums. My gosh. :eek:

That kind of looks like an opossum. Where do you live? Fox and bears and now opossums. My gosh. :eek:
Yes I was thinking maybe it was an Opossum. I have seen them on cameras in the past and I think they can be a danger to chickens.
I am afraid I must have a (hopefully small) breach in the Palace defenses. I cannot figure out where - but both a mouse and a chipmunk have been spotted inside. I don't worry too much about either except that it implies there is a hole somewhere. I am leaving cameras on the floor to try and figure out where the hole is because close visual inspection has not revealed anything.
And to answer your question I live in a clearing in the woods so I have pretty much every critter you can imagine.

What was that!

The chicks (I'm not sure how much longer I can call them that) are just super cute when they beware a sound the surprises them.

View attachment 2284538

They still cuddle together. On one of my chairs of course!

View attachment 2284539
They are super-cute. I love their stance - they are very 'upright' birds if you know what I mean. From pictures of Stanley I think he is the same - he 'stands tall'!

Back
Top Bottom