We've also found a couple eggs out in the yard lately. I almost ran over one of them with the lawn mower yesterday. I'm beginning to think the hens are just getting lazy and don't want to make the trip to the box. They all use the same box, but since there are only three of them you would think they could work out the scheduling. 🤔

I watched Chickie lay an egg out in the open once. :confused:

You're right! I can't even figure out which one is the alpha in my bunch! :gig
Beetov-Hen, my flock Alpha hen: Beetov-Hen.JPG

Yes that can happen. Some hens are better at holding it all night than others.
My Frizzle often drops an egg from the roost. Most get cracked along the way. She is a big clumsy girl & sometimes I think she finds the whole getting up & into a nesting box first thing [she's an early layer usually] all too much effort & just goes for it wherever she is.

I was so very frightened that we would pass in my arms. I would not let him close his eyes. I kept rubbing him to keep him awake.
BY Bob it's your domain , but have you consider some sort of net to place over the pool when not in use? My only worry with my suggestion is whether their feet might get caught in the netting and make it worse. So glad Ned is okay. BTW I'm working my way backwards to catch up. one week on your thread makes for a LOT of pages :)

Back
Top Bottom